Homemade Shampoo from Natural Ingredients

What is the process for making homemade shampoo?

Ricky

Answers

Lots of folks have switched from the chemicals used in shampoos as it was making them ill. One person used 1 tablespoon baking soda mixed in with 1 cup of warm water. For a rinse and detangler: 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, to 1 cup of warm water was used as a rinse and a detangler! I recently found out about shampoo bars: got one from J R Liggett; it works fabulously on my hair; at first, i didn't like the "feel" of my hair after using; it's because it does not strip your hair of oil, but when it dried, it was fabulous! So, don't use bar soap on your hair, but do Google "bar shampoo" and make your own shampoo bars!

It is apparently very easy to do. Along with making your own regular "bathing" soaps in a variety of ways, including even using slow cookers! The chemicals in the soaps are the very reason that many of the soap factories were opened.

I am actually very impressed with the results of the shampoo bars: and will undoubtedly be making my own shampoo bars shortly! I am heading for the library to get more details before trying any of them: I already use "soap ends" of a local soap factory i am fortunate to live near!

Also, the lathering is wonderful! And I am thinking that using the same recipe for shampoo bars can easily be modified a little to make your own "dish washing liquids" which would be chemically free, no plastics!

Way to go!

September 27, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for a hair shampoo from natural ingredients. I've heard a raw egg will do wonders, but this is something that gets too expensive to use on a daily basis.

Andrea from Manitoba

Answers:

I heard that sprinkling cornstarch in your hair softens it as well as it removes the oil. Just leave it in for a few minutes then brush it out.
(08/13/2004)

By Jo'lle

I use a juicer and juice 2 oranges. I put raw coconut oil, olive oil, couple tablespoons of aloe vera straight from the aloe leaf and the orange juice and put it into a blender with an avocado, and blend and there you go. It works great.

(12/05/2004)

By Jay76

This recipe is really good.

RJ's Shampoo Bar

• 8 oz coconut oil
  • 11 oz olive oil
  • 3.7 oz lye
  • 1 tbsp wheat germ
  • 6 oz avocado oil
  • 2 oz castor oil
  • 8 oz water

Directions:

I throw my oils in the crockpot, except for the wheat germ, melt them on high, add my lye water, bring to trace, add my wheat germ oil, cook, cool slightly and add my fragrance. I love this shampoo bar! I don't even need a conditioner for my long hair anymore!

(02/15/2005)

By miss Annabelle

Hey, I just found a good recipe"

• 2 cups distilled water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dried soapwort root (chopped) (most health food stores would carry this)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon verbena or 2 teaspoons catnip

The Instructions:

Bring water to a boil add soapwort and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add herbs then allow mixture to cool. Strain the mixture keeping the liquid. Pour into a bottle. Makes enough for 6-7 shampoos. Must be used within 8-10 days. Store in a cool dark place.
Enjoy. (11/16/2005)

By Britt

Pure Castile soap is supposed to be the best for your hair. (01/27/2006)

By Rosemary

Put 1 banana in a blender and add some natural yogurt and apply to hair after shampooed. Leave for a minute and rinse out with warm water. It comes up a treat. (07/09/2006)

By Gemma

Get one ripe coco pod. It tastes delicious so you may suck on the seeds and then throw them away. Then you grate the pod with a fine grater and then add a little water. Use your hands to squish the result of the grater with the water until you end up with a thick slime. Voila you have natural shampoo. Be careful, rinse out hair properly after use because this shampoo was designed to create dread locks if left in hair. (01/15/2007)

By Starjay

Hibiscus Shampoo

Take a bunch of hibiscus leaves and crush with a little water. Keep crushing and you'll soon notice the sudsyness. Apply the mixture to hair directly or strain through a strainer to get the bits and pieces of leaves out. Add a few drops of your favorite food grade essential oil, I love peppermint! Tip: Make when your about to wash your hair because it doesn't keep well.

Enjoy! (02/14/2007)

By Holly

I make a paste with baking soda and water, massage this into my scalp and rinse well. Next I spray a solution of one part cider vinegar to four parts water onto the ends of my hair and again rinse well. It cleans and detangles. It makes my hair feel very soft. (03/12/2007)

By Kathleen

• 4 bags chamomile tea
  • 4 tbsp pure soap flakes
  • 1-1/2 tbsp glycerin

Boil tea in 1-1/2 cup water and let cool then add other stuff. Finally, shampoo as usual.
It will keep 1 week in fridge. (05/20/2007)

By Deb

Take an avocado pear, and some baking soda. Mash them together with a little bit of water to make a paste. Rinse your hair with warm water first, then apply the paste and rinse it out with cold water. Unbelievably soft hair! (07/09/2007)

By Aviar

This may sound wild, but you really don't need shampoo. My husband found some news articles online that described quitting shampoo use so he buzzed his hair, and began rinsing his hair with water every day. Over the next weeks his hair became greasy, then the oiliness disappeared. It's now soft and fluffy and not the least bit unpleasant. I haven't tried it yet, but I would love to get to the never-need-shampoo again stage. (07/17/2007)

By Jasmine

I have fine hair and up until recently, with adrenal fatigue and menopause, it was silky with light waves and body. Then my health problems with candida. Candida changed my hair; the texture and feel. So now I use a 10% mixture of vinegar and water, all over hair after washing and then towel dry. I don't need a conditioner or anything. It takes out tangles, takes care of the candida and stops itching really well. It makes my hair feel really nice, and it's really cheap.

Just take white vinegar, use 9 parts water and 1 part vinegar. I put it in a squeeze bottle and keep it in the shower, after I wash it, I just squeeze some all over my scalp and squeeze the excess liquid out and towel dry as usual. It is a really great way to help multiple problems. (10/09/2008)

By Chris T.

Take some mayonnaise and an avocado and whip until a minty green paste. Use as shampoo! (11/23/2008)

By Kira A.

mother natures recipes

Aloe vera citrus face wash is much better than soap because soap is too drying to the skin. Aloe vera simply is a great hair wash and juice for nourishing the skin. This site is great. (12/26/2008)

By Katy

The reason you use shampoo is to cleanse the scalp. The only thing that needs conditioning is your ends. For those who describe their hair as horrible and frizzy, get a good trim. So as long as you are cleansing the scalp I guess there are other things than store/salon shampoo. (02/19/2009)

By Marian

Shampoo being poured into palm of hand.
Homemade Shampoo Recipes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairSeptember 27, 2010
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
Jar of hand cream with flowers and woman's hands applying cream in the background.
Homemade Hand Cream Recipes
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
A dog after a bath.
Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
🎉
🎄