Tips For Purchasing A Down Comforter

Can anyone educate me as to purchasing a down comforter? I have been to a hotel with the most comfortable comforter and sheet set. I was told it has something to do with count of feathers? We live in Florida, so I need a lightweight one, possibly for year round? Thanks.

Daphna from Alachua, Florida

Down comforters are nice, but they can also bring on sinus allergies eventually. If you are bound to have one I do suggest getting the most expensive one you can afford as not all down is equal. Grey Goose down is the most luxurious and least likely to eventually offend your sinuses. White Goose down would be next. All others are a combo of feathers and down which I strongly suggest not purchasing.

A lovely alternative (which I switched to after years of using down comforters and pillows) is 100% Silk. It's lightweight, cool in Summer and cozy warm in Winter. It's also (gently) washable, which down is not.

Whatever comforter you pick, be sure and use duvet covers so as to cut down on any direct cleaning of the comforter itself. Also, look for a small(er) diamond pattern construction to the quilting, as opposed to a box or channel pattern. Down, especially, will shift within the quiting and end up all at the bottom of each channel or box of the pattern. The smaller diamond shape is harder to find, usually more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

The moral of the comforter story is: You get what you pay for.

I agree with the previous post - buy the most expensive down duvet you can afford. When my father was alive, he manufactured duvets, so I grew up with them -summer and winter (I'm now 60). But I would like to add that you CAN wash them - even if the label says to dry-clean only. The outer covering is a fine-count cotton japara, which will shrink very slightly, and the filling has already been washed prior to manufacture, so is safe to wash again. I take mine to the commercial laundromat where I use a large machine. I then dry it in the large drier together with a clean sneaker to "kick" around the down to stop it from clumping. It comes up perfectly every time (I usually wash mine once a year).

Consumer Advice Product FinderOctober 9, 2008
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Trowel and Garden Gloves
Buying Garden Tools
Down comforter on a nice bed.
Removing Odors From a Down Comforter
End view of rolled comforter.
Make Your Own Comforter Cover