Making a Coat for My Dog

This is a coat I made for my little dog. She gets cold in the winter time and store bought dog clothes are so expensive so I decided to make my own.

I looked carefully at the shapes of clothes sold at the store and decided on a shape that I liked. I measured my dog and sewed scraps of corduroy from some old pants together to make the top. I cut an old sweatshirt for the lining and I used some fabric I folded and ironed to make a piping I sewed around the edges. I used Velcro at the neck and waist to fasten. I sewed some elastic on the inside to pull over her back legs to keep the back of the coat in place. Now my dog will be toasty warm this winter!

By Hillary from Dublin, CA

Very Clever, and it looks so much better than

the store-bought stuff I've seen.

If you live in really cold country, you might devise

some "foot mittens" to keep her little feet off

the cold ground. Some doggies won't wear them,

but some will. You'll just have to try.

All the best to you,

Julia in Orlando, FL

Hillary, you made such a nice coat...it's custom fit...better than any coat you could have bought in the store and it looks very nice on her! You could have your own business making custom fit dog coats!!!

Hillary!

You did a grand job. Love the patch design and all the custom fitting. You motivated me to try one myself :)

Jennifer CA

You are soooo talented!

Lucky pooch!

Excellent! May I steal this idea? I only steal from the best.

the Oracle

are you from dublin ga. if so, i am too. email me at fiestyz28 @ msn.com (remove spaces).

that s a great idea. stacy

Lovely idea. My two Tibby's just have arrived and now I have to get them some clothing done for the winter months, thank you :-)

Something easy and inexpensive for a dog coat is go to a thrift shop and look for fleece vests. For small dogs go to children's section and larger dogs go to adult section. The dogs front legs go through the arm holes and the zipper is underneath their belly. I spent 3 dollars on 2 dog coats(vests). One was for my golden and one for my sheltie. Easy and cheap and no sewing involved.

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I am at the moment wrestling with a store bought pattern that might as well be in Cantonese. I get it - but I don't... nd I know that making a dog coat is not as hard as this pattern wants me to believe lol! I'm tossing it aside and going with all the great tips I got on this site!

A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
Crafts SewingNovember 5, 2006
A stack of Mexican blankets.
Making a Coat Out of a Blanket
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
Finished racks mounted on the wall.
Making a Fish Coat Rack
dog with shiny coat
Keeping Your Dog's Coat Shiny
🎉
🎄