Caring For Baby Fish

I bought a fish yesterday and when I came home today I found about 20 baby fish! Should I separate them or does the mother have to care for them or something? I just don't want her to eat them!

By Maddie from Billings, MT

Best Answer

Separate them! Otherwise mom will snack on them when she gets hungry. Most pet stores and some Wal-mart stores sell breeder nets/containers. The best one to purchase is the gauze sleeve that fits over a rectangular frame. It hooks right over the side of your tank like the trays at Sonic and keeps you from needing to maintain separate water heaters, air pumps, etc.

Separating it in a glass is a very bad idea because it's a little space for the little baby to swim around in. I would suggest buying a fish net for your baby fish so that there is more space and they can still be in the same water as there moms. I bought a fish net breeder and my baby fish have survived really well.

Adult and juvenile guppy with aquatic plants against black background
Caring for a Baby Fish
Pets FishFebruary 8, 2011
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄