Caring for a Rescued Baby Mole

Category Wildlife
Depending on the age of the baby there are some common steps you can follow to care for the baby mole. You want to keep it warm and fed. This is a guide about caring for a rescued baby mole.

I need help with a baby mole he/she looks about 1 1/2 months old and I can't find anything about how to take care of the little guy. I don't want him to die.

By michael from ND

Answers

Best Answer

More than likely, from what I have seen from my wildlife rehabber friends, cows milk would be disastrous for this little creature. Your best bet is to find a rehabber near you. Look on this link and call and find out.
http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/
Birgit is the director of this great rescue. There is a link and she has a facebook also. she is very good at rehabbing and her page is very informative.
Rehabbing is very difficult, and usually better left for the few hours it take to get the animal to a licensed rehabber, for its own sake and for your own sake also as there are laws regarding wildlife and the fines are very high.

It is so sweet that you are trying to help these animals, maybe there is a wildlife rehabilitation career in your future?
http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/
Check this site for a rehabber as close to you as possible for help with this wonderful small creature.
Also the fish and game dept in your area may have a wildlife rehabber listed also.
http://gf.nd.gov/
Robyn

My cat had caught a baby mole and we saved it. He is in a bowl with a towel and I'm not sure how to take care of him.

Answers

Best Answer

This one will depend on how old the baby mole is.

1. If the baby is rather small you'll need a box, a towel, and a hot water bottle.
  2. Ad

3. Fill the hot water bottle to your body temperature. Don't make it too hot. Put this in the box and put the towel on top of the hot water bottle. Afterwards, put the baby mole on top of the towel.
  4. You will need to make a homemade kitten forumula to feed the baby. You can always buy this at your local vet stores.
  5. You will prepare the formula and feed this to the mole using a syringe.
  6. When feeding the baby you will hold it in one hand and drop the formula into the mouth with the other hand.
  7. Just keep checking the water bottle and make sure it is not getting too cold. The mole needs heat and this is the only source of heat you are supplying the baby.

My grandson found a mole that is about 3 inches in length, but has no fur. We know what you feed a full grown mole, but how do we know if this is a small one or an older one?

By lscraig

Answers

Best Answer

You probably need to talk to a wildlife rehabilitator to see what to do with it, or if it's even legal for you to have it. In some states, it's illegal for someone who's not a licensed rehabilitator to keep a wild animal, even if it's a baby or injured. Not only that, they might need special care you don't know about. I'm a Facebook friend with a wildlife rehabilitator in my area & it's been a real learning experience about the smallest things that can make or break a wild animals chance of survival.

Here are 2 websites that can help you find someone in your area:
http://www.wildliferehabber.com/ http://www.wild  ternational.org/

And here's a website with general information on the subject: http://www.nwrawildlife.org/

I just found a baby mole in the dirt hole my kids play in. What do I do with it?

Answers

You should report it to the national wildlife aid.

Anonymous

Leave it alone the mother will take care of it!!

if you want to save its life then yes, call wildlife removal though it may take them a day or so to come deal with it because I'm sure they're busy

you could wait and see if the mother comes back and takes him away once she realizes the nest has been compromised

you could remove it yourself. Just make sure you protect your hand with gloves and your mouth with a face mask in case of diseases

What do you do when the moles are rejecting the milk mixture when I try to feed some to it? I don't know what I did wrong because now I just have one baby instead of two.

By Jamie B.

Answers

Jamie...what are you thinking? Why do you want more moles to wreck and destroy your neighbors' yards and gardens? They are horrible and the less of them we have the better.

My friend and I found a baby mole in a driveway. I think its mom left it there, but I brought it home. I don't know what they eat. Can someone help me? It looks like if it doesn't eat soon it will die.

By BabyGirl from Gorham, ME

Answers:

Caring for a Baby Mole

I'd get them a can of infant formula, the kind that needs warm water added, and a dropper or two from the pharmacy department and feed them formula. (06/14/2010)

By PENNY K

Caring for a Baby Mole

There are small mammal formulas that would be appropriate and easy to find at a pet mart or pet supermarket. Then get a dropper and feed at the suggested times. Babies eat a lot more than three times a day, the little mole should let you know when it's hungry.

Try to age it using photos online or someone you know. See when it will be making the switch to insects. Good luck! (06/16/2010)

By Danielle

Caring for a Baby Mole

Some moles are poisonous and I am not sure if moles in our country are or not. I will check with a rehabber to see and send you a link. More than likely it will not make it if it is dehydrated, and it could have been harmed internally by a cat.

Here is some info:
http://mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/mammals-of-northern-north-america-shrews-and-moles

I wish you good luck and I would not feed cow's milk, it can kill rabbits or squirrels. Also you can type wildlife rehabilitators by state and it will show you where to contact a rehabber.

Blessings.

(06/17/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Caring for a Baby Mole

Here is a site that lists rehabbers by state. Find your state and then find the one nearest you. tc.umn.edu

Blessings. (06/17/2010)

By Robyn Fed

I have two baby moles. I wanted to know how to tell if its a boy or girl? Also, I am feeding them warm milk. They drank a little bit. I also gave them some worms, but they won't eat them. What should I do?

If you can help with either question please reply. Thanks.

By joe from Ellebell, GA

Answers:

Caring for a Baby Mole

I can only tell you this; cow's milk is NOT the answer. The enzymes in it will probably cause internal bleeding. Use kitten formula instead. (05/05/2010)

By dede smith

Caring for a Baby Mole

Maybe it the would eat some meal worms from a pet store, my little birds love them. Try canned dog food. Plus, maybe some bottled spring water. I would be careful with the milk. Try that canned puppy milk sold at Walmart. (05/14/2010)

By Sue

My cats brought a baby mole (I think) home tonight. It's probably not going to survive the night, but if it does, what next? It's wrapped in a sock on a heating pad. It's about the size of the end of your pinkie finger. Help.

Margaret

Answers:

Caring for a Baby Mole

I have got three baby moles right now. We found them in our front yard all alone. Their eyes aren't even open, but they seem to be doing OK. We're feeding them wet cat food mixed with milk, worms, and warm milk out of a hamster bottle. They're in a little hamster cage. Try to keep yours warm for the most part, and give it some grass to sleep on because that's what they make their nests out of. (06/10/2008)

By Emily

Caring for a Baby Mole

Don't put the baby down the hole. The mother will reject it and kill it. Take it to a wildlife rescue organization. Most places will take any animal. (07/13/2008)

By blazer14

We have a baby mole and we need to know what baby moles eat. We need to know what to keep it in and at what temperature.