Pillow Top Mattress Not Soft Enough

I just bought a brand new mattress with a thick box pillow top. It's soft, but doesn't have that pillowy, sinky feeling like a featherbed.

I was thinking about getting a feather bed too to put on top. Would this be pointless with the pillow top or would it get that fluffy feel? Or do I just need to give the bed time to break in? Thanks.

By Melanie from Orlando, FL

Pillow top mattresses don't feel particularly soft, as they're made of a rather dense foam. There's nothing wrong with putting a feather bed on top, if you need that sort of softness. I have fibromyalgia, and even though I was fortunate enough to inherit a TempurPedic bed, it doesn't have the ultra-softness I need. So I have one of those soft, "egg crate" bed toppers, which alleviates my pain.

The only rule of bedding is use whatever makes you comfy! :-D

We have a pillow top and after 1 1/2 yrs. the area where we sleep is all sunken down and the middle of the bed is still like new - hence a hump in the middle of the bed. We also have put a foam mattress topper on it as it was not soft enough. Will not buy a pillow top again.

My daughter and her hubby bought a pillow top several years ago and hate it. Both of them have had back problems ever since they started sleeping on that bed.

Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 18, 2010
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Jeep Soft Top
Cleaning a Jeep Soft Top
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg