Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning a Very Dirty Toilet

How do I clean a very dirty toilet?

By Val

By Drew C.10/14/2011

Okay, thank goodness I came across this. I tried the suggestion of 20 Mule Team Borax (powder) and a pumice stone from Thenicholas3. Both can be purchased from Walmart. I purchased the heavy duty pumice stick which cost only $1.88 instead of the Revlon pumice stone for women :).

Emptied out the bowl of water, poured in the borax, left it overnight, and just pummeled it with the stick. By golly, the stain got removed. It was bad. It was like a perpetual streak mark. It was on the very bottom of the bowl left that accumulated because of unflushed urine.

Hooray for Borax and pumice.

By girl10/03/2011

I too am having this toilet problem because I care for a schizophrenic guy and he never flushes the toilet. He had a brand new toilet get like this within a month. I think it's a combination of hard water and never flushing as well as I only clean for him once a month. I have tried many things. It seems that SOS pads work but only to a certain degree and with a ton of scrubbing. The coke thing didn't work but I think I didn't leave it in long enough. I am going to try alka selzer/denture cleaner/pumice stone on astick and something called "the works" from walmart. Thank you for all the great advice! Portland Oregon

By Cynthia Mullen03/22/2011

Ok, I had to clean one a couple of years back that looked like it had never been cleaned. This lady I used to work for told me about this and now I have one. Go to Walmart, I think I saw them over there. Get a natural pumice stone on a stick handle and it'll take off all the brown grunge and stuff and make your toilet look brand new!! I couldn't tell that it scratched it all!! But I figured if it did, scratches are better than grunge any day.

By Patricia Nicholas [13]03/22/2011

20 mule team Borax, leave it sit over night on the stain (turn the water off if necessary so the bowl doesn't fill) If the stain has lime or hard water deposits, scrub with a pumis stone. I own a cleaning company and have tried it all, this has never failed me and I don't worry about fumes building up or acids eating through the pipes on older plumbing.

By Dena Roberts [31]03/22/2011

We had a house fire a few years ago, and the house sat empty for almost a year. The toilet was disgusting! I tried everything! I discovered this: Block the hole so the water stays in the toilet. An old rag in a waterproof plastic bag will do, if you stuff it in the hole really tightly. Make sure it doesn't go down though! Fill the toilet, using a pail, with warm water right to the top...drop in 3 or 4 denture cleaning tablets. Swish them around gently so the whole bowl is in contact with the denture water, and let it sit for a whole day. Swish out the bowl with a toilet bowl scrubber and remove the blocker. You may have to repeat this a couple of times. My bowl came out sparkling clean!

By Sandi [390]03/22/2011

If it has sat for a long time, this will fix the problem but you have to be very careful.

Watkins makes Hydrocloric Acid tub and tile cleaner, and it's the kind that professional cleaners use.

However, and I am not kidding, use gloves, a mask and eye goggles. Flush the toilet, and as it's going down, turn off the water underneath.

The closer the bond between this cleaner and the actual surface the better. Spray it on, spread it around onto the surface, then get out of the bathroom and turn on the fan. Come back in 10 minutes and turn the water back on. Most likely you will have to flush several times, but it's the most caustic but effective cleaner I have ever seen.

I used some to get very old water and urine stains from the toilet and tub, and got a little on the older style (70's trailer) enclosure and it took the pattern right off!

So, use it sparingly and with great caution. Good Luck.

By karen03/21/2011

This sounds really strange but to clean from the water line down empty a bottle of Coke in it over night, don't know how or why but is works!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning a Very Dirty Toilet

I have a rental house that the renters moved out of and the toilet is awful. I have scrubbed and scrubbed but it has so much lime or whatever is built up I cant make a dent.

Archive: Cleaning a Very Dirty Toilet

I have a rental house that the renters moved out of and the toilet is awful. I have scrubbed and scrubbed, but it has so much lime or whatever is built up I can't make a dent. I don't want to replace the toilet at this time. Any ideas?

Momcann from MO

RE: Cleaning a Very Dirty Toilet

What I had to do is scrape the calcium out of the toilet using a tiny scrapper it took a while, but came out clean. Calcium is built up because of hard water, so get some pellets and use them and it shouldn't happen as long as you use the pellets. Good luck. (03/13/2011)

By Barbie143