Inexpensive, Removable, Wallpaper

If you want a unique wallpaper, but easily removable, try stenciling the least expensive muslin fabric (I found mine for 86 cents a yard at major department store). Make sure to use fabric medium when stenciling. Then put up the fabric with laundry starch. The upside is that when you decide not to use the fabric for wallpaper any more, you can make curtains and other home decor out of it.

By Debbie Z

Debbie, thanks for this! I just saw a program on PBS but they were making you spend $150 for a bottle of the stuff! I thought it was just starch--do you use it full strength, just brush it on? Does it do anything to the walls, do you just have to wash it off when you are done?

Nancy

Nancy, It sounds like you and I are trying to do the same thing. I saw the same program and wanted to try the idea as well, but couldn't afford it. So, I began to search. Here is a link that gives you directions on how to use liquid starch as a fabric adhesive. Hope this helps. Linit.Com You will have to go the the decorating section.

Stacie

But I saw a magazine article in "Country Home" that showed an entrance hall which had hidden toxic mold under the wall covering. It was old and had been put up with wheat paste, which being a "food" for the mold, was a bad outcome. The homeowner had to remove it all and wash walls with clorox. Could the laundry starch have the same problem?

http://www.lini … y.pl?p=907041523

This is a starch site which explains how you make wall paper out of fabric.

I used starched fabric on a wall of my apartment, and it worked WONDERFULLY! A tip: I bought some cheap, thin molding at Lowe's to hide the edges.

I also put a few nails in the top to hold the weight of the wet fabric as it dried. AND after two years, I simply peeled the fabric off, and there was NO damage to the wall! I washed and dried the fabric and put it up in my next apartment!