Make Your Own Flour Tortillas

There are a lot of items you can make yourself. I usually stock up on tortillas when they are on sale at the store. I have had success freezing them. Sometimes it's fun to make a couple batches of your own and they are quite cheap to make. Makes about 12 tortillas

• 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or lard
  • 1/2 cups warm water or more, if needed

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Gradually work the shortening or lard into the flour with a pastry blender (A pastry blender helps make the texture that you want with tortillas). Continue mixing until the flour and shortening (or lard) is completely mixed. Next, start adding water until the dough is soft but not so much that it becomes sticky.

Once the dough is ready, make three ounce balls of dough. You can use a small scale to get an idea of how big three ounce portions should be. Role each ball until they are about 1/8 inch thick and 6 incches in diamater (a great size for fajitas).

To cook the tortillas, heat a skillet on medium high heat. Place the tortillas one at a time on a dry skillet. Cook until they are light brown and then flip and then flip over and brown the other side.

Now you have fresh warm tortillas! You can eat them warm or store them for later in the fridge.

Do you have a recipe for corn tortillas?

Oh bless you. My BF and I were just discussing finding a recipe for homade tortillas last night and lo and behold I find this less than 24 hrs. later.

Thank you,

Cat

Corn Tortillas

1 3/4 cups masa harina

1 1/8 cups water

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix together masa harina and hot water until thoroughly combined. Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead until pliable and smooth. If dough is too sticky, add more masa harina; if it begins to dry out, sprinkle with water. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and allow to stand for 30 minutes.

2. Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high.

3. Divide dough into 15 equal-size balls. Using a tortilla press, a rolling pin, or your hands, press each ball of dough flat between two sheets of plastic wrap.

4. Immediately place tortilla in preheated pan and allow to cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until browned and slightly puffy. Turn tortilla over to brown on second side for approximately 30 seconds more, then transfer to a plate. Repeat process with each ball of dough. Keep tortillas covered with a towel to stay warm and moist until ready to serve.

Please note that I got this recipe from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/corn-tortillas/detail.aspx

Homemade flour tortillas are so good! They are worth the trouble. If you make them, you won't want store bought again. Homemade taste better, the texture is better, they fold better - they are just a lot better!

EPIC Fail. Did anyone actually make this recipe? Did the person who posted it make it? I would not recommend this recipe. I regret trusting the measurements more than common sense. I looked at the recipe and it looked wrong. I wish I had stuck with my first impression and moved on.

Tortilla on a grill with man rolling torillas in the background
Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchJuly 24, 2004
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter
🎄