Browsing: Substituting Sherry in a Recipe

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Substituting Sherry in a Recipe

Wine and liqueur can be expensive to keep in the pantry for cooking. This guide is about substituting sherry in a recipe.

a woman cooking with sherry
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 19, 2010 Flag

I am making creamy shrimp and fettuccine and need a substitute for dry sherry.

By bunny from AR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apple juice should work.

Cooking sherry but delete the salt from the recipe because cooking sherry is preserved with salt (unless, of course, you like more salt). You can find cooking sherry's and cooking wines in your markets vinegar isle.

I usually use chicken broth if I don't have the right wine on hand.

November 19, 2010 Flag

I am making a pork loin and it calls for sherry along with other ingredients for the marinade. I have no sherry, what can I use instead?

By Beth from KY

Answers:

Sherry Substitute

If you don't want to use alcohol you could use chicken or vegetable stock readily available in the supermarket. (08/10/2010)

By its_me7811

Sherry Substitute

Any sweet wine or fruit juice. (08/11/2010)

By Kentishmaid

Sherry Substitute

When I need a substitute I go to foodsubs.com. They have never failed me. (08/12/2010)

By Yorkiemom2

Sherry Substitute

Sorry to a couple of the posters here, but chicken stock, vegetable stock, and regular fruit juice will not work as a substitute for sherry in a marinade because marinades for most meat recipes need the 'vinegar' base (fermented) that the sherry contains. Since the recipe says specifically to use sherry there's also a reason to not use simple fruit juice because of the flavor and tenderness the recipe wants to acquire.

As a sherry substitute you can use just about any type of wine or you can use red wine vinegar with 1 teaspoon of sugar or you can use white wine vinegar. You can also use cooking wines or cooking sherry's, but because cooking wine and sherry use salt as it's preservative you'll want to reduce or ditch the salt in the recipe for health sake. (08/12/2010)

By Deeli

Sherry Substitute

Sherry is a fortified wine. Use dry to sweet-take your pick. Non alcohol, 2 Tbsp. sherry sub for 1 to 2 tsp. vanilla extract or use 2 Tbsp. of orange or pineapple juice. Your marinade will depend on the choice.

(08/12/2010)

By 3dogs4me

Sherry Substitute

What I do, is use apple jelly and mix it with a little apple cider vinegar to make it more liquid. I have also used cranberries, mixed with some white vinegar and brown sugar. You need the vinegar to tenderize the meat so the flavour of the marinade can soak in. And taste your marinade before you use it, it has to taste good or it will ruin your meat! (08/12/2010)

By catastrofy

Sherry Substitute

Orange or pineapple juice are what I use in place of sherry. (08/13/2010)

By sooz

November 16, 2010 Flag

What is a substitute for sherry in a recipe?

Donna from Miramichi, Canada

Answers:

Substitution for Sherry in a Recipe

I use either apple juice or a punch. (10/28/2006)

By LRP

Substitution for Sherry in a Recipe

Use red wine vinegar. (10/28/2006)

By PICO

Substitution for Sherry in a Recipe

I found this on yahoo answers:

"I have a book called 'Substituting Ingredients' by Becky Sue Epstein and Hilary Dole Klein. In that book they say that a good substitution for sherry is either an equal amount of Madeira or Port.

Another book I have called 'Food FAQs' by Linda Resnik and Dee Brock says that you can use Madeira, Marsala, Port and Sherry interchangeably in equal amounts in a recipe. It also says that for a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of a heavy wine (one of those four listed above), you can substitute 1/2 cup dry red or white wine.

From http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/alcoholsubs... - a non-alcoholic substitution for sherry would be:
2 tablespoons sherry, substitute the following:
1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 tablespoons orange or pineapple juice.

To substitute sherry in a marinade: for 1/2 cup sherry use 1/4 cup vinegar + 1 tablespoon sugar + 1/4 water OR
1 tablespoon vinegar, plus chicken stock or water to make 1/2 cup.

If you want general substitutions (not measured substitutions) for sherry, you can try: apple cider; non-alcoholic vanilla extract; coffee; or coffee syrup." (10/02/2008)

By meggieliz8

August 10, 2010 Flag

I have a recipe that calls for sherry, what can I use as a substitute?

October 26, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 19, 2013
Cooking With Sherry
Cooking With Sherry
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
A pan of Crepes Suzette
Dessert Recipes Containing Alcohol
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:07:11 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.