Removing Paint Stains from Dried Clothing

By Frances 1

On one school, dress my daughter has a large paint stain (I believe the paint to be acrylic) from art, on another, she has made many (but smaller) more. Both have been washed and dried. They are 65% polyester and 35% cotton. Your help is urgently needed and much appreciated.

By Frances from S.A.

Filter Sort

By Puresetgold 1 Flag

I went to a goodwill store years ago and found a jean jacket with paint on it. The cashier told me to use hairspray. I did and it worked. You simply spray the area and rub it together. If it doesn't come out, don't dis pare, simply SPRAY some more and rub again. Repeat until it is gone! Believe me, it made my days, and I have used that tip often.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Suzanne 1 Flag

Best advice ever! I used regular hairspray on a jacket that my son was wearing when he leaned against a freshly painted wall. Since it was my husbands prized college jacket, it seemed impossible to get the paint out. I can't say thanks enough!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer 4 Flag

I had accidentally rubbed up against a newly painted hallway and had gotten water based paint on my $400 Coach Black pocketbook. I didn't notice this until the next day and it was thoroughly dried. I used hairspray as was suggested and it got off all of the paint. I had to keep reapplying about 3 or four times. I used a wash cloth and sprayed the hairspray right on the material of the Coach bag. I then used a Scotch Brite sponge (the no-scatch griddy side kind) to get the last of the faint paint stain off and it worked like a charm. It looks brand new again and this girl is a happy camper!!! Hairspray works!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Removing Paint Stains from Dried Clothing

My daughter's skirt has purple paint stains on it and it has been washed and put into the dryer. It is 94% cotten and 6% spandex. What can I use to remove the paint stains?

Eveready01 from San Diego, CA

Answers:

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Dried Clothing

I have read that petroleum jelly will remove latex or acrylic paint. The directions were unclear, except to say that you must immediately launder the garment after using the petroleum jelly. (10/13/2004)

By audidudi

Hey. Wash the clothes, take them out of the washing machine and whilst the paint is still warmish from the water, get steel wool onto the paint. It works on jeans however not sure about T-shirts. (01/11/2005)

By A Smart Cookie

Thank you Smart Cookie! I just tried the steel wool trick on my favourite pair of jeans, it worked quite nicely. I can still see some of it, but it's mostly all gone. (01/15/2005)

By Adelaide

I used fresh lemon juice and oxi clean stain remover. I tried the oxi cleaner by itself and it did not work, so there fore I tried the lemon juice because of the acid it contains. It worked fine! This stain has been in my jacket for almost a year! So try it! I hope you achieve the same result! (03/07/2005)

By Brett Merrill

Try "shaving" the dried paint off, like you would shave off pills on a wool sweater. (04/21/2005)

By Donna Breck

I've never actually tried this so i dont know if it stains shirts/pants or not but i just kinda thought of it. Maybe paint thinner, I mean, you use it to get dried paint off of brushes and such so it may help. (05/25/2005)

By kittykat

Rubbing alcohol will remove dried latex paint from clothing. Test for colorfastness first, then soak the affected area for about 5 minutes. Works like a charm! (06/23/2005)

By Paint

I always use Goof Off and it works. You have to put it on and let it sit a few minutes and then scrape it with a dull knife of your fingernail;. This is the only way it really seems to work. You will see it start to dissolve and lift and then you can wash it. I agitate it for a short time ( a few minutes) and then soak for about 5 to 10 and then wash. It works every time except possibly in really delicate. Lyn (10/11/2005)

By Lyn

The rubbing alcohol tip mentioned here is wonderful. I just tried it on a new tshirt and cargo shorts... had acrylic paint on them and they came out just fine! (10/23/2005)

By Shari

I just used Cleveland Superb Fabric and Leather Cleaner that I got from a shoe repair store to clean paint off my wool jacket. I thought I would have to throw the jacket out but it worked really well. (11/03/2005)

By Gretchen

I just tried hairspray and it works brilliantly. Just spray the stain and you will see the paint start to soften immediately. Rub and blot the paint alternately with hairspray and any washing detergent and eventually it will disappear like magic. Wash as normal in the washing machine and its good as new! (01/08/2006)

By Babs

Two things work like magic. #1. Lighter Fluid #2. Peroxide (04/13/2006)

By Jim

What really works is that citrus degreaser, nothing else even touched the purple acrylic on a skirt of mine! The brand I used was called Citrus-Maxx, but I can't find that anymore. But any concentrated citrus degreaser should do it. It will dry out your hands tho, make sure you have lotion! It even took black spray paint (it was kinda fresh) off my linoleum floor! (05/25/2006)

By Kirsten

Last week, I was helping my art teacher clean up the art room and happened to get black paint on my pink t-shirt. I tried everything I could find to get it off:

- Laundry Detergent
- Hairspray
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Lime Juice
- Stain remover

Nothing worked. Even my mother ran out of ideas. So I combined the hairspray, alcohol, lime and stain remover and scrubbed it with a scrubbing brush. It started coming off. I rinsed the shirt and repeated. Then when it was light enough, I only used stain remover and now, I can barely see it unless I look extremely close. Thanks for the tips =D (06/20/2006)

By Karu

Headline: HAIRSPRAY SAVED MY PANTS!

That hairspray did the trick. I have been painting lately and unwisely did some in a favorite pair of comfortable poly/cotton knit black pants. Sure enough a blob on the front and light areas of paint on the back. Looked up what to do, found this page and tried the hairspray. It worked beautifully. Spray the hairspray on then hold under a faucet with water barely dripping out and scrape off with a sharp knife. The scraping gets the paint off after it's been loosened by the hairspray and the water drains it away. The pants are completely black again. Thanks so much for saving the seat of my pants! (06/28/2006)

By 91chevy

I got red acrylic paint on my white polo shirt!! first tried to rinse it out, the used soap, but it didnt work. then i tried window cleaner, mentioned on another site, but it didnt really help, it just fainted the spatters a little, then i saw this website, and sprayed hairspray on my shirt. I started scratching at it, and now the stains are gone!! also no damage done to my shirt :) (09/23/2006)

By hairspray rocks :P

Removing Acrylic Paint from Bluejeans

Hey guys I am in a painting class and got a couple drops of acrylic paint on my bluejeans in class and wasn't too happy about it. So i looked on this little forum here and decided to give Rubbing Alcohol a shot using some Q-tips. Worked like a charm! Can't even hardly see the stain anymore! Thanks guys! (01/12/2007)

By Matt R.

Hairspray worked awesome. Even after washing and drying! (Dried latex paint on polyester pants) (03/06/2007)

By Leslie

Original Pinesol does the trick for acrylic paint! Hairspray for other kinds of paint like fabric. (03/06/2007)

By Emily

Getting the material damp before applying the hairspray and the rubbing alcohol really helped. It takes a lot of scrubbing, but it pays off in the end. (06/08/2007)

By Nicole

My children got some paint on their clothing at Vacation Bible School. One was 95% cotton and 5% spandex. The other is 100% cotton. I don't know what kind of paint it is. The paint did come off easily when they washed their hands. I have already washed and dried both of them. Any suggestions?

Hadley from Clinton, NC

Feedback:

Tell the teacher to find out about mixing powdered soap in with the paint for stain removal from clothing. I don't know the details, but one of my kid's preschool teachers did that years ago so the kid's clothing wouldn't be ruined by paint that spattered over the aprons. (06/22/2007)

By cookwie

I use white spirits for many mystery stains including paint. Just dab some on with a cloth and leave for about an hour before rinsing then washing normally.

It saved my ivory colored quilt which had black tar like stains over it, from washing DH work clothes before it. I had tried everything and after 12 months decided that the white spirits didn't work, I would recycle the okay parts of the fabric for craft.

White spirits is smelly but does the trick. You should be able to get it at the supermarket. (06/22/2007)

By Kfromoz

Thank you for the hairspray tips! Worked fantastically on really old dried paint on my cotton / spandex top. Just sprayed and scraped with a pair of scissors and the stain is almost impossible to see. (07/05/2007)

By kelly

Don't ask me why I put my 5 year old twins in nice shirts to do a craft activity, but I did and they both had spots of the puffy fabric paint when they were done. I used rubbing alcohol and a scouring sponge and they are nice shirts still! Thanks! (08/01/2007)

By Kari

We tried all the things listed above and nothing worked. Then I saw that we had Goof Off and that did work wonders. (08/13/2007)

I love this site. I haven't had any bad advise yet. I never thought about trying hairspray. It worked wonderfully. I use hairspray all the time in my crafting and stamping business. It cleans ink and adhesives off of just about any surface with ease, including rubber stamps. Makes me wonder what it's been doing to my hair. Thanks for the great idea! (10/09/2007)

By Colleen

Thanks. The hairspray, alcohol, and soap worked. (11/16/2007)

By Hilary Lannaman

I would imagine Nail Polish Remover will do the trick for acrylic paint! (11/23/2007)

By Dennis

Use "Goof Off". I got it at Tractor Supply Co. for less than $8 (16ozCan). It took all of the paint completely off of my favorite jeans. It takes a little scrubbing but it's definitely worth it. (01/02/2008)

By Hannah

Windex is the best stain remover. Along with using nail polish remover and water and hairspray, especially on acrylic paint! (02/05/2008)

By Clarke

My teenage son had a very expensive hoodie and of course he wore it to his art class. Needless to say acrylic paint ended up on both cuffs and part of the sleeve. He was very upset. I'm not much of a laundress (I usually set stains!) but I managed to get it out, and the sweatshirt looks like new. Hairspray (extra hold) and Pine Sol really did the trick. Thanks for the great advice!
(02/20/2008)

By Roberta

91% alcohol worked like a charm. Took off some of the dye of my clothes but the paint is gone. (02/26/2008)

By patrick

I was at work and got white paint on the sleeve of a black shirt (60/40 cotton/polyester) and the shirts are about $25 a pop or so and it was brand new. I used a combination of the hairspray, peroxide, and detergent with a scrubbing part of a cheap dish sponge and it eventually came out for the most part. Picking with your fingers also helps out prior to any scrubbing. (06/15/2008)

By The Stain Fighter

Anything very greasy, like thick paint or tar or bike grease, put it into the wash with soap and empty a can of coke (coca cola) into it as well! Voila! it comes out clean (I couldn't believe it the first time I tried, scared to think what coke can do to our insides... uggh). Good luck :) (07/01/2008)

By neomi

I just removed dried acrylic paint from a freshly modified (2 hours work) camp uniform t-shirt using nail polish remover (scrub/rinse), followed by hairspray (scrub/rinse), followed by Goo Gone (scrub/rinse), followed by SIMPLE GREEN (that was the magic ingredient, no scrub/rinse required). Thank you, Simple Green. It's all clean! Hooray!
(07/14/2008)

By Helpful Guest

WOW! Rubbing alcohol worked like magic. My son had just gotten a brand new T-shirt and leaned into some fresh paint in the house, we were sure the shirt was history but after trying the rubbing alcohol and using an old toothbrush the paint came right out with no discoloration to the black fabric! (The paint was even dried and on there for over 24 hours). Thanks for the tip. (08/24/2008)

By Debbie

Thank you. I just tried Goo Gone and rubbing alcohol on a pair of khaki shorts that had blue bottom boat paint. I thought they were gone, but I got them clean. Also rubbed them with a toothbrush and Tide. A final wash with Tide and Borax. (09/09/2008)

By Ann

My daughter got fabric paint on her new navy blue scrubs at school. She brought them home and used a combination of Rubbing Alcohol & Goo B Gone. She let that soak in for a few seconds then hair sprayed the spots. Used a wash cloth and rubbed vigorously. Seems to have worked just fine. Did not discolor the navy scrubs at all. (10/16/2008)

By Shelly

Well, on this cold, rainy night, I was trying to think of something that would make me smile and then I pulled my black knit sweater out of the washer to find dried white paint in spots on the bottom front. I quickly came to research how to get it out. It was especially problematic because the sweater is a very narrow ribbed woolen like knit. I grabbed my bottle of alcohol and went to work with a Q-tip.

After just a few minutes of dabbing and rubbing, the dried paint on my black sweater began to thin and then started to completely disappear the more I added alcohol and rubbed. I am so grateful to you all. You saved my beautiful black sweater from the bottom of the Goodwill barrel! Thanks! I'm smiling from ear to ear. (11/12/2008)

By Vicki S.

Okay. Get yourselves the Mr. Clean magic eraser. It took dried paint off of my daughter's Christmas dress that she wore to school. It takes a little elbow grease, but it looks so much better. Mind you, I had navy blue paint on a red dress. Start scrubbing and good luck! (12/20/2008)

By DANIELLE

Try peanut butter (02/02/2009)

My husband is a painter, to remove paint from clothing, carpet and pretty much any surface he uses Windex. He won't use anything else, it always works. Just get a dry rag or towel, spray it with the Windex, and dab and rub the stain. But don't scrub too hard. (02/20/2009)

By LLivengood

(Submitted via email)

I had white paint on my golfing waterproofs and have just removed the stain using Dylon Fabric Care Dry Clean Stain Remover, which was purchased in our local Ironmongers.

Charles B. (05/18/2009)

By Sally_Admin

The common wisdom is that one can't remove dried acrylic paint from fabric. I am an amateur artist and have clothes dedicated to art. This weekend I got liquitex acrylic on two shirts, a leather handbag, and a leather car steering wheel. My hostess had Commercial Line Fantastik Heavy Duty Cleaner and Commercial Line Windex with Ammonia D. It removed the paint and everything. Both are Made by the S.C. Johnson Co.

Two questions; while the paint had dried, it was a day old. The color was yellow. Are either of these a factor? Paint is created from various ingredients that give it color. Would any other chemicals have done the trick. I now have a bottle of these two cleaners, half and half. I may add some vinegar and ammonia. Alas, a lot of this is pot luck and experimentation. (05/25/2009)

By peterschleger

Hadley from Clinton, NC

Feedback:

I just removed a tan paint stain from my husband's red shirt with nothing but hairspray. It worked great. Just sprayed and rubbed, then washed. Thanks for the tip. (10/12/2009)

By margaret63

lots of paint spilled on jeans
Removing Acrylic Paint From Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 6, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
lots of paint spilled on jeans
Removing Acrylic Paint From Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 7:53:52 AM on 10.0.1.208 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings