Jewish Apple Cake

This is a high, moist cake, It is the best one I have ever tasted, quite frankly. I have no idea what ingredient makes it a "Jewish Coffee Cake".

• 6 cups peeled and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples or any tart firm apple, sliced thin. (I used McIntosh)
  • Ad
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar plus 5 Tbsp. sugar to toss with apples
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce to cut down on fat)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan. Combine apple slices with with the 5 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Beat eggs with remaining granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add vegetable oil and applesauce (if using), orange juice, and vanilla. Beat well. Gradually blend in flour mixture and mix until well blended (about one minute). Mix in apples.

Bake at 350 degrees F till golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes and invert on wire rack. Let cool completely.

Note: You could put a streusel mix in the bottom of the pan before putting in the batter, or, if you don't do that, you can sift powdered sugar over the top after inverting it. Also, this makes too much batter, because it does go all the way to the top; you could make a mini cake with the rest of the batter.

Servings: 24
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
70 to 75 Minutes Cooking Time

By laniegirl from IA

There is no ingredient that I can see that would make it either a Jewish or non-Jewish Apple Cake. You probably found an old recipe that was passed down in a Jewish family from a grandmother to her daughter, then to her grand daughter.

After I posted the above comment, I just remembered the reason why this would be a Jewish Apple Cake since it doesn't contain milk. Jews do not mix milk and meat in the same meal. So this would be parve and could be eaten after consuming meat. Now if I'm wrong I stand to be corrected.

MCW, thanks for the explanation! Now I can tell my friend from whom I received it why it is called "Jewish Coffee Cake".

Jewish or non-Jewish, this sounds totally yummy. Lol. Not so hard to make either. Sure looks pretty when it's all dusted with the powdered sugar.

Thank you for sharing.

MisMachado

I am Jewish. This cake is a traditional dessert for the High Holiday of Rosh hashana, where desserts are sweet to welcome in the new year. Traditional sweets are apples and honey, and some type of apple cake is an old favorite.

MCW is completely right about parve.

When I baked this the first time, it burned. The next time I reduced the time to 66 minutes instead of the 70 to 75 suggested in the recipe and that was just right.

Jewish apple cake
Jewish Apple Cake Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes FruitOctober 22, 2010
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
Apple Cake Recipes
Apple Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄