MicePest Control

How Can I Get Rid of a Mouse in My House Without Killing It?

Category Mice

I have a mouse that is ruling the house and is all over at night. I do not want to use sticky traps to catch it. Please help with suggestions to get it to leave the house.

By Rajee from East Elmhurst, NY

Get some other type of trap. There are humane ones that do not kill the mouse. You will probably not get rid of it without a trap. Can you borrow a cat for a few days? That would help.

Ask around and find out who you know that may have a "havahart" trap. (They catch them alive, so you can release it far away from your home.) Be aware that if you have one, you likely have more; so after you catch the first, keep re-setting the trap until you go a week without catching one. Bait it with peanut butter (Can you tell I have been there, done that?) Oh, and don't just take it outside and release it; you need to take it fairly far away (a block or more) or it will beat you home.

Get yourself some peppermint oil and put it on cotton balls several places in the room where you've been the mouse.they hate the smell and it does something to their nervous systems so they leave! I've done this for years in my pantry.it also smells good!

I go for the compasionate traps, the "havahart" traps. You can take the mouse to a safe place like a field or woods and let it go. It will likely become food for an owl or a fox but then that is natures way whereas a killing mouse trap isn't.

Why you don't want to kill a mouse, I, a rodent despiser, will never know, but the plug in type of rodent controller has worked in our house for ages. It makes a noise or vibration that they hate. That, and a cat works wonders as well. But she brings the critter to us and personally, I don't want that either! Good luck.

Wouldn't Exlax kill such a small animal anyway? Rajee doesn't want that.

Marg from England.

I found a no kill mouse trap at either dollar general of Walmart. I don't remember which it is black and works on a trip system. You open a little door in the back and put a little bit of bait on the door. Peanut butter works great. You can't use too much because the weight will trip the trap. You set it by opening the door at the other end. The mouse runs in for the bait and his weight causes it to close. A little warning though, If you have one mouse, you probably have more so keep it set after your first mouse. I take the trap to the back of my lot to empty. But I have to make sure my dogs do't follow me. They love that fast food.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. I will try and post the results soon I hope.