FruitRecipes

Recipes Using Frozen Fruit

I have a big bag of mixed frozen fruit that's been in the freezer for a couple of months. It's still good, not freezer burned or anything. I haven't used it because I don't know what to use it for!

I thought about making smoothies, or topping them with pancakes, but I want to use them in a unique way.

Anyone have any unique and tasty ideas or recipes?

Thanks,
Jennifer

I like to use fruit to make 'crisps'. (Apples, peaches, pears, berries, rhubarb or a mixture) If the fruit isn't sweet enough on its own, put some sugar in it, and some cornstarch to make a sauce. Butter a glass casserole dish (1.5 to 2 qt), dump in fruit and top with a crumb topping. TOPPING - 1/2 cup each flour and quick oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 cup melted butter... mix with hands and sprinkle the crumbly mixture over fruit. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Good hot or room temp. Serve with Ice cream or whipped cream..... yummy...

To use your fruit , make a fruit pizza, or kuchen, fruit of the forrest pie,

The post by PoPo for crisps is also a wonderful idea.

Joy @ Culbertson MT

I make homemade waffles and top them with the thawed out fruit and whipped topping (served with saugage). Kind of like eating your dessert for supper!

When I was in college, I used to pack a little butter tub of frozen mixed fruit to eat at lunch time or for a snack. (The mixed fruit I had was honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon and red grapes.) The frozen fruit was very refreshing on a hot day when I had to walk across campus. Pack it in an insulated bag and it should stay cool, but still thaw enough to be edible.

Camilla

Hi there how about making homemade preserves with the fruit? I make preserves with fruit & sugar only use the same amount of sugar as fruit, sometimes even less. Boil till all the sugar is melted & pour into canning jars. Great on toast, waffles, pancakes, ice cream etc... Good luck

Awesome ideas guys, thanks!!!!

What I have done is take a premade angelfood cake, cut it in half. Mix the frozen fruit with whipped cream (sometimes add food coloring) spread some on bottom half of the cake, replace the top half and cover the rest, then place it in the freezer for an hour or two, easy and a wonderful treat in these miserable hot summer days.

how about having a little get together and having a make your own sundae treat. using only ice cream the fruit and sauces from the fruits. or just make sundaes for desserts like this one.

Strawberry and Marshmallow Sundaes

3 cups mini-marshmallows

3 tablespoons half-and-half cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

2 pints strawberry ice cream

2 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned, sliced and mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar

Stir marshmallows and half-and-half in large heat-proof container set over, but not touching, saucepan of barely simmering water until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth. Remove from over water and stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Set aside.

Put 2 scoops ice cream in each of 4 bowls. Spoon strawberries over ice cream. Pour sauce over strawberries. Makes 4 servings.

I'm not a purist, but a health nut. I'd add them to yogurt a little at a time over several days, savoring the very last drop. Granola is always a treat. I'd not add sugar, or try to re-invent them, but rather enjoy the natural sweetness, and thank God for His goodness in creating such things.