Buying Bulk Canned Goods

I've Googled this until I cannot see straight! Is it cheaper to buy the big cans of fruits and vegetables like at Costco, Sam's, Groc Isle with the big Food Service sizes? If so, then is it ok/safe to freeze any leftovers? Any advice would be appreciated!

Donna

I have no idea if it would be cheaper to buy these sizes or not. You would have to check out prices in individual cases, I think.

It is perfectly okay to freeze canned food that is left over.

Most things have the unit price listed on the price marker above/below the item. Check the unit price for both sizes and that will give you your comparison. Most anything that has been canned is freezable, so that when opened you can divide into family size usage and freeze. Be sure to label item as well as date.

The only way I know if it's a bargain or not is divide the cost by the number of oz. in a container. For example one 20 oz can costs $1.00 = 5 cents an ounce. Then when I see eight 20 oz cans for $6.50 then I know the cost is cheaper -- 4 cents an ounce. That's the only way I can do it -- you just have to remember the prices to compare. Hope this helps!

check prices take your calculator to any grocery

store and figure price per ounce then

check the Costco's etc. prices per ounce

and you will know. Also if this is something you

use frequently otherwise it will just hog your

precious freezer space.

Also freeze in various sizes plastic freezer bags

and get all the air out and lay flat makes

it easier to store

These days, most grocery stores (Sam's Club and Costco included--at least in my area) include a price per unit (look to the left on the tag under the item that has the price).

Another thing to consider, is how often you and your family eat that product. It would not really be cheaper in the long run to buy a big can of peas if your family is not as keen on it as they are corn.

Yes, the other poster was absolutely correct in saying that it was perfectly fine to freeze leftovers.

Here is a link to answer freezing questions for meat:

http://www.fsis  ing/index.asp#19

Here is another site that is a bit more detailed. Good information on both sites, though. I got this through 'Google'.

http://www.mart  frozen_facts.htm

I hope this helps.

KS

I have read of people keeping "price books" so that when you go shopping it would be easy to compare the prices. That is too much work for me! I do as the others here have posted and compare price per ounce or per item. **BEWARE** BUYING IN WAREHOUSE STORES IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST DEALl! I adore Costco but know this is true! Check out your weekly grocery adds and you may find a better deal! Sometimes already frozen veggies and fruits are cheaper than canned and have less salt.

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingSeptember 9, 2008
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk
straining can 2
Straining Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2017 at 4:30:34 PM on 10.0.2.47 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.