Making Your Own Beauty Mask

I love to make my own homemade face masks, but I know some stuff isn't safe to use daily. What ingredients are safe to use daily and what ingredients are not safe to use daily? Thanks.

By Cera

Honey, milk, oatmeal, cucumbers, and potatoes.

I like a product called Aztec Clay. You can buy a huge jar of it at health food stores for around $5/lb. A 1-lb jar should last a good long time. All it is is green bentonite clay, I like to mix it with plain yogurt, aloe gel, witch hazel, milk, honey, mashed banana or avocado, or an egg white depending on how my skin is feeling that day and what I have on hand. You can also mix with plain water. It is very detoxifying and makes your skin tingly as it dries. I keep some on hand all year round as it's very useful for insect stings/bites too. Make a paste with water and dab on the bite, let dry or leave on overnight and the bite will be all dried up.

Fresh pineapple is wonderful to refresh skin. Try it and see and feel the difference.

May 28, 2010 Flag

I would like information for making my own homemade facial mask.

By suzcoe from northern Ireland

Making Your Own Beauty Mask

I was an esthetician at one time, and I didn't always buy our expensive stuff. If you have oily skin, egg whites whipped lightly. If you have dry skin, oatmeal with a bit of milk is great. Don't leave anything on more than ten minutes. If you grow lemon balm, lavender, or any other herb with a good fragrance you can chop them finely and mix it in, or use essential oils. Use a slice of cucumber on your eyes and you'll look like you came from the spa! (08/05/2009)

By damaged05170

Making Your Own Beauty Mask

I have a couple different recipes.

Smoothing and Exfoliating.

Japanese green tea, thyme, white willow bark (if you can find extract) grape seed extract or oil, green papaya (important for exfoliating), pineapple juice, honey, vitamin E and Vitamin A (zinc if you can find it in a gel or liquid or if you're up to grinding), aloe vera gel, almond or soybean oil (I prefer almond, is scentless and hypoallergenic), essential oils (if you have a preference use your favorites) or use, patchouli, mandarin, geranium, and rosewood.

Green papaya contains a digestive protein that removes dead skin cells from the surface, may sting a little you can patch test for sensitivity. White willow bark unclogs pores, green tea is an antioxidant. Thyme helps support collagen, grape seed oil is an antioxidant. Pineapple juice is a citric acid that dissolves dead skin cells. Honey is an antibacterial agent. Aloe vera is good for everything, but really it's soothing, protects skin, and is a natural astringent. Soybean oil is high in vitamin e and patchouli stimulates the skin and the scent is said to relax. Almond oil is a great product; I mix it with essential oils and apply to skin after I scrub in the shower.

Detoxifying Treatment.

Pumpkin puree (no sugar fresh if you can do it), apple juice, soybean oil, vitamin E, Japanese green tea, willow bark extract (if you can find), raw cane sugar (or what you can get your hands on ground finely), honey, powdered milk, lemon juice, carrot juice, essential oil of your preference( frankincense, ginger, and mandarin recommended).

Pumpkin has over 100 minerals that nourish and purify, apple juice is purifying, cane sugar promotes cell renewal, green tea is an antioxidant and anti inflammatory, willow bark unclogs pores and helps reduce break outs. Soybean oil I discussed in previous recipe, carrot juice is high in alpha and beta carotene (vitamin A) and antioxidants, honey also is discussed above and frankincense in a natural astringent and anti inflammatory.

As with the other treatment since this has fruit and citric acids it may sting, so test for sensitivity. I have very sensitive skin and this does not cause problems.

For skin lightening, mix milk, lemon and or lime, and honey and let sit so the lemon/lime juice absorbs. Then mix plain yogurt to thicken apply to skin, let dry, then rinse well. Has to be used regularly to have good results.

A mask of oatmeal and yogurt is also a good face mask.

Avocado, honey, and dry milk is another.

For a scrub use sea salt or finely granulated sugar mixed with an oil (olive, avocado, almond, soybean, jojoba, or lanolin) or you favorite lotion, you can add your favorite essential oil or fresh flowers or herbs.

I recommend getting a good book on aroma therapy and essential oils, so that you know what plants are good for what and what to stay away from. You can find many of the ingredients at the grocery, health store, or farmer's market. Oils should be available at health store or a head shop, or online. Try

As for making the masks, measure to however much you want. I never measure of follow directions, unfortunately. I usually make a large batch and give to family and friends as gifts, or have friends come over and make a night of it and split the batch. We also do this with laundry soap when I make my own.

Hope I helped and that it wasn't so long that you fell asleep. (08/18/2009)

By babygaige

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FaceMay 28, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Homemade Beauty Products
Storing Homemade Beauty Products
pink satin sleep mask
Homemade Sleeping Mask
Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes