Furniture Polish Helps Catch Dirt on Furnace Filter

Each month when you change your furnace filter, spray it with a furniture polish first before installing. This will help trap more dust in the filter due to the oil base of the spray furniture polish. I use a cheap can of spray from the dollar store.

Source: My heating and cooling service man

By Judy from Kentwood, MI

Editor's Note: Make sure to read the label of anything you spray on an air filter to ensure it's safe to breath and non toxic.

I am no expert but I would think this would impede the air flow. Did you ask the man about that?

A better way to trap more dirt is to buy a pleated air filter with a MERV rating of 8 or higher (the MERV rating will be shown on the filter and/or the packaging).

Furnace Filter Tips
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingFebruary 20, 2009
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Furnace Filter
Changing a Furnace Filter