Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cat Keeps Scratching a Sore

On New Years Day I found a sore on my cat. I pet her a thousand times a day so I know it wasn't there the night before. I couldn't get a vet appointment until the 8th. In the meantime I kept it clean and used Neosporin. I went to the vet on the 8th, he said it was an allergic reaction and prescribed 3 medications.

Now just 3 days later the sore is just about healed but she won't stop scratching right below the sore. It's not any particular shape, just two straight lines where the folds of her skin are when her head is upright. She is making it bleed. I have the cone on her now but I don't think its safe to leave it on while I'm asleep or at work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm very concerned. Should I take her back to the vet? I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac cat mommy but I hate seeing her uncomfortable.

By Lisa from Philadelphia, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Robyn [346]12/19/2012

There is a spray at Tractor Supply and probably online that costs around 25 dollars. It is available at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Ani ... 163&sr=8-4&keywords=vetricyn

It is called Vetricin. It is a wonderful spray and can even be used in eyes, and it is for infections, ringworm, etc. I found out about it from one of my wildlife rehab friends on facebook. I would not be without it now.

There are several different kinds of vetricyn spray the one I am talking about is called Vetricyn Wound Spray and it looks like the picture in the link I sent.

Blessings,

Robyn

By Jazzmin Flower [7]01/13/2011

I have 4 cats with this problem, altho they have not had any infections from their sores. My vet prescribes prednisone or prednisolone tablets for it. I've tried sprays and medicated powders from the drugstores: you might have good luck with that. The kitten really should see a vet as infection is present She will need an antibiotic and possibly stitches. I have a cat who had a puncture wound that started out as a tooth-hole sized bite from another cat. It then opened up to the size of a quarter over the next few days despite my efforts with hydrogen peroxide soaked cotton balls.

That's when I took her to the veterinarian. Money well spent? The bleeding was dripping now and then and wouldn't cease. Stitches were clearly needed. Hydrogen Peroxide is the way to go to keep bleeding wounds free of infection.

The cat photo I have is of my kitty girl, Mitsu, who had the wound that kept opening up larger everyday. For a low-cost veterinarian I was miffed with how many $$ he required to do the procedure: not very Thrifty!

Health is first and foremost and kitties must be doctored and at least Mitsu looks ashamed of herself for having got into one bad fight behind my back. Good Luck with your kitten.

RE: Cat Keeps Scratching a Sore

By Lisa [1]01/12/2011

I think I was over doing it with the ointment the vet prescribed. I may of been putting to much on at once. I stopped putting it straight on from the tube and started using a cotton ball and just dabbing it on, now she appears to have stopped scratching and its healing.

The vet did check for fungus/ringworm and said that wasn't it. It was probably an allergy to food I used temporarily. I ran out of their normal food and just ran to the local convenience store for a box until I could get to the pet store the next day.. it wasn't the same brand, so in all likelihood that's what it was. I have long since thrown that box away, and she is eating her normal brand again, and no other sores/scratches have popped up.

I know I probably made her crazier than the sore did, and I'm convinced it worried and bothered me more than it did her, but she is my baby, and when you google "cat sores" online some scary stuff comes up. Thank you for the advice.

By Leigh [3]01/11/2011

Try a flea collar. Sounds crazy but I went through the same thing with two cats, tried all sorts of things but the sore wouldn't heal then once spring came and out came the flea collars and they both stopped scratching and picking at the un-healing sore.

By Cyinda [214]01/11/2011

There is a Neosporin called" Neosporin Plus". (The Plus comes in cream or ointment) This kind of Neosporin is different because it has an added medication that stops pain, itch & burning. Try this & see if it helps. Use only a little, so the cat doesn't lick a bunch off & get sick! Don't feel like a crazy-cat-moma, because if your cat keeps scratching it, it won't heal (& could get worse). Did the vet check for "fungus" (like ringworm, etc) because these fungus infections can really itch.

Also, I agree with it not being safe to keep the cone on while you are gone.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cat Keeps Scratching a Sore

I have a kitten that I found. When I found her she had a little spot about the size of a dime maybe smaller. She has been itching it and now it is way bigger with blood and puss. I have been putting peroxide on it and cleaning it out, also have been putting Polysporin on it but it is not healing.

It is in a spot where I cannot put a cone around her neck. I will get it to the point where it is healing or scabbing up and then she will itch at it again and it will become a bloody mess again. Any ideas?

Anne from Cincinnati, OH

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

It sounds like a warble. You need to take her to the vet. Cats are bad about getting them and they are usually on their necks. (10/10/2008)

By cora-sue

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

It's great that she's found a good home! You should seriously consider a visit to the vet-not only could the area get infected (which the pus indicates), she could have a mange mites infestation or a skin disease that requires a bit more than you can do at home.

I found a cat 2 years ago that was covered with sores and bald patches. It took 2 rounds of shots to eradicate the mites she was infected with, plus surgery to remove a patch of skin that she'd scratched and chewed at till it had nerve damage. Now she is has beautiful silky fur and seems quite happy not to be constantly scratching herself!

At any rate, go to the vet! (And please, discuss spaying your cat with the vet.) If you feel it is expensive, you might contact your local shelter/humane society to find veterinarians that charge lower prices for their services. Some humane societies offer coupons for some vet services. Some vets will trade goods and services-I used to own a video store, and my vet had small kids who liked movies. Worked out great for us both till his kids grew up and left home! (10/10/2008)

By kmcd

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

What about the stuff that you use to break a thumb sucker. You can buy it at Wal-mart or any pharmacy. Hope this helps. ~Janette~ (10/13/2008)

By ashleybunkin

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

Take her to a vet as soon as you can. Using medication made for humans is not a good idea to use on animals without first researching on the internet (or asking a vet). Many are toxic to our animal friends. (10/13/2008)

By Maryeileen

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

Another possibility is that she could have allergies. That is what ended up being my cat's problem. Either way, I agree that you should get her to the vet. My cat needed allergy shots! (10/13/2008)

By dellajo

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

A warble is a welt that has a large larva inside it, with a breathing hole to the outside. Just so you know. Your vet will help you know when to administer parasiticides, because my cow had those and I gave her medicines at the wrong time and the larvae died there. The vet said I should have let that batch fly away and then prevent the next batch. I had to rip out those big dead larvae myself, one by one. Sorry for the gross message, guess it's a roundabout way of saying 'your kitty needs her vet'. (10/13/2008)

By kimhis

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

You need to take the kitten to a vet. (10/13/2008)

By ThriftyUser

RE: Kitten Keeps Scratching a Sore

You can buy a liquid spray bandage to help keep things out of it while it heals. This also contains a small pain reliever so it will stop some of the babies scratching. (10/14/2008)

By dcsprsmm