Drywall Swells When Painted

I have a room I have painted 3 times and the drywall swells up and looks bad. I have sanded and it looked good till I painted it and it did it again. How do I get it to quit doing this?

By Mary Margaret from Hainesville, FL

The joints may not be smooth enough before painting run your finger tips across them anything you can feel will show up big when painted.

If the drywall is swelling up it sounds like a moisture problem to me and not from the paint but from behind the drywall or needing a dehumidifier for your home (after all, Florida is humid). It would be best to call a professional in case it's water damage from behind the wall which can cause a mold problem. In all of my years of painting over drywall I've never had the drywall swell after a paint job so that is what makes me question the true source of your problem.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Dry WallNovember 27, 2010
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture