Drying Onions, Carrots and Celery for the Winter

It is now the end of the season for local farmers markets so I am trying to stock up on my soup supplies. My Husband made me some racks to go into my oven and on these I dry my vegetables.

I dry about 3 pounds of onions, two bunches of celery and two bags of carrots. I use these in soups, casseroles or that odd side dish that needs something else to make it complete.

When they are put in the pot they come back tasting as if I just bought them. I do this on a weekend and I try to pick one of those nippy fall days so I don't mind the build up of heat in the house.

By Debra in Colorado

I have a dehydrator. What do I need to do to dry onions? Purchsed some today for 10 cents a lb.

Here's some onion drying information:

DRYING ONIONS

Wash the bulbs and remove the tops, roots and outer papery shells. Slice the onions into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices. No blanching is needed. Drying will take 2 to 6 hours in a dehydrator or 5 to 10 hours in an oven.

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600010.html

I read above how to dry the onions. and will try that, but how long do you dry the Carrots, and celery? Do you dry all three of these together as a mix, or each separatley and then just put some of each in your soup?

Thanks for any information.

I have a lot of onions and carrots from the garden and would like to do this.

What about carrots and celery. How thin do you slice them? What oven temp and for how long each? Also do you lay them on a rack or just on a cookie sheet? I don't have a dehydrator. I suspect they should be done separately as celery has more moisture.

Dried Carrots
Drying Vegetables
Food and Recipes DryingSeptember 29, 2004
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
🎄