Searching for a Hospital with a RN Program for New Grads

I know this is a lot to ask, but a member of my family is having a very difficult time finding an RN new grad program in South CA. Especially in this type of economy it is very hard to find a hospital that will take in RNs with no experience.

We have been searching job listings online for weeks, asking others if they might know anything, and now I'm asking if anyone might know of a hospital that has a new grad program for RNs that is currently open and taking applications. If you do, please let me know, this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

By Jay from CA

It's hard to find any job without experience any more. Several years ago, after finishing a two year secretarial course specializing in legel secretary, I applied of a job listed as receptionist/secretary. I knew it wouldn't be a high paying job, but it would be a job. During the interview, the interviewer was looking over my resume' and he said "oh! you've taught school" and I replied back in the sixties. Then he said "I see you have legal secretary training". Basically what he was saying is he thought I was over educated or qualified for the job. When I applied for the job it was in the mid-nineties. Most of the jobs that I applied for wanted experience, no matter if you had the education. As far as RN jobs, does it have to be in a hospital. What about medical clinics or nursing homes? This lady might have to take any type of job, while applying for a RN job. I know lots of college graduates that have to do that.

I work at a hospital that has a wonderful program for new grads. It is not in OK however, it is Sanford Health in Sioux Falls, SD. They have always hired new grads, and have a wonderful mentoring program for them that lasts about 3 months. Check

My daughter is an RN up here in Santa Rosa, CA Tell her to go to the local college and look at the job postings.

Here in Saskatchewan there is a shortage of nurses. We are getting people in from the Phillipines. I have no idea about new grad training, but you could check on line. If you are flexible about location, I should think that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you so much to those that responded. Unfortunately, relocating to a different state would mean, since she lives in CA, that she would have to take another exam to get her license elsewhere, which would be a lot more stressful anyway. As for medical clinics and nursing homes, yes she's applying there too. Unfortunately, yes, even new grad programs want experience, but if it's a new grad program. It's frustrating that she can't at least begin somewhere if no one is accepting her. In the meantime, we're still searching. Thank you for everyone's advice :)

I am a nurse in MO and we too have a nursing shortage. There is a new grad program at my hospital. MO has a reciprocal licensing agreement meaning if your state is a member of the NLC you can practice in any state in the group. There are 24 states in the NLC, unfortunately, CA is not a member. She would have to take the boards again in a NLC state. Can she get on as a nurse assistant whilst awaiting an RN job? Good Luck to her. Don't give up.

California can be difficult for new grad nurses. If he/she can relocate temporarily it would be well worth her while to get into an out-of-state new grad program. And, the NCLEX exam is a national exam, so "boards" do not have to be retaken, although a nurse must apply for a license in another state. There is a cost associated.

Another possibility: I suggest he/she go to a freestanding medical facility (i.e. surgicenter) and propose a new-grad program. I think this just might work.

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobJune 13, 2010
Mom Decorating Hospital Room for Daughter
Decorating Your Hospital Room
A signed heart as a hospital present.
Hospital Gift Ideas
A healthy meal of wok fried vegetables being prepared.
Finding Old Weight Watchers Menus
A happy nurse giving two thumbs up.
Nurse Themed Party Ideas