Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

By Colleen 1

How do I get rid of the sewer smell in my shower drain?

Colleen from Saco, Maine

Filter Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My friend told me that a mixture of vinegar and baking soda works as good as Drain-O, and it takes the odor away. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Check the vent pipes on your roof. They could be plugged. If they are plugged, odor will come out the drain or toilet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tom D. 11 Flag

"F. Phillips hit the nail on the head! If you're in Maine, it's November, it's cold, the vent pipes for the plumbing sometimes get clogged with ice from condensation. If it's been cold & dry, the water in the sinks, tub & washer vapor traps evaporates a little quicker than normal. You may also notice the pipes & drains making an unusual noise when one of the vapor traps dries out. Pouring water into all drains will reestablish the "vapor trap" & the smell will stop entering the living spaces.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

What would cause a sewer odor coming up from my drains? I live in the city and do not have a septic tank. I occasionally get the same odor from my washer. I assume its from the pipes because my laundry doesn't smell, just the entire room. Thank you.

Tonya from Arizona

Answers:

RE: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

Usually odor comes from dry traps in plumbing that have not been used for a while, and can be remedied by pouring water into the drains. However it sounds like you may have a broken or rusted drain pipe beyond the drain allowing gas to come out. Take a good look at your drain plumbing and perhaps where the clean out cover is, it may have come loose. Good luck and God bless. (09/10/2008)

By Chap

RE: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I'm not sure what causes it, but I think I've had the same problem from time to time. Running hot water full force for 10 minutes or so from all available faucets usually takes care of it. (09/10/2008)

By ChloeA

RE: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I used to get the sour water smell coming up our drains also. What I found that works is when ever you are boiling large amounts of water (for corn, pasta,etc), instead of dumping it down the kitchen sink, dump it down the sink that smells. Once is usually enough but sometimes another time or two is required. I got into the habit of rotating the sinks whenever we boiled water and we have no smells coming up. It also helps to get rid of the hair that collects. Be careful carrying the boiling water especially if you have small kids. Good Luck! (09/10/2008)

By Mel Kraft

RE: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I had the same problem in my laundry room. My husband had put my drain hose for the washing machine up too high and therefore when the water pumps out, it pumps it all out and the trap is dry of water and causes the smell. A friend told us that the drain hose can only be 8 inches above the trap. We fixed that and the smell is gone. (09/11/2008)

By Sandy

RE: Sewer Odor Coming From Drains

I live in an old house and have the same problem. The kitchen is far from the sewer pipe which is vented. A smaller vent is needed from the kitchen pipe. (09/13/2008)

By siris

Home and Garden Repair HomeOctober 2, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:40:12 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings