PlumbingHome

Sewer Gas Odor Coming Up from Drains

I smell a heavy odor of sewer gas in my house that's coming up through the bathroom sink drain, the tub drain, and the kitchen drain when I turn on the water it's not even more. My question is should I be boiling my water at this point until this problem is fixed?

Is the smell coming from the water itself or the drain or both.

First call your local water company and make sure they aren't having a neighborhood wide issue. Ours leaves voicemails when this occurs, but not all company's do that.

If it is the water and just you, ask the water company what their protocols are for checking lines or if you need a private plumber.

Some people have insurance through their water companies so that is why it is important to ask before you do anything.

If it is just the drain, you will probably be best served to call your own plumber and have it checked out. We had a issue with the smell coming up from the drains and it was caused when a tree root broke our line. It was not a cheap fix. UGH. I hope this is not your problem.

Post back with an update!

Call the local water company and ask if there is an issue.
If not, sometimes odors come up from seldom used drains. Let the water run for awhile and see if that helps.

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingAugust 8, 2019
🌻
📓
😎
🐛