Making Snack Bowls From Old Record Albums

I have some old albums. I have seen them made into bowls by melting them in a regular oven, over oven proof bowls and bent into shape.

I would like someone to tell me how to do this, as I would love to make some bowls from these old albums to put homemade cookies in for gifts. I love to give unusual gifts.

I know these bowls can only be used for cookies and snacks because of the hole in the middle, but I would rather recycle the albums instead of throwing them out. I like to recycle as much of things as I can. Can anyone help me with this project? You can contact me through this site. Thanks in advance.

By Peggy in PA

Gives good directions for just how to do that. Good luck with your project, sounds like it will be great!

We used to make them by laying them on top of an oven proof bowl covered with aluminum foil. Heat your oven to 300 degrees and watch them soften. Using gloves take them out and shape them as you want but leave them on the bowl to cool. They can be painted or decorated as you wish. There are numerous sites to show you how to do this.

There is also this link from the ThriftyFun archives with lots of how to information:

Please be sure to line the vinyl bowl with a cloth if placing food in it because the type of plastic the vinyl contains can leach it's chemicals into the food otherwise.

Uses for Old Records
Uses for Old Records
Crafts Recycled CraftsMay 23, 2011
Record Table Centerpiece
Making a Vinyl Record Table Centerpiece
A bowl made with an old vinyl record.
Making a Vinyl Record Bowl
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls