Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Vinyl Record Bowl

Vinyl record bowls are easy to make and a are cool way to recycle your old records. This is a guide about making vinyl record bowls.

February 8, 2012 Flag

This is an easy recycled craft that you can make in 20 minutes or less. It makes a hip container for that small potted plant that you are planning to give someone as a gift this Christmas.

Warning: Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes. Open windows and make sure the fan is on in your kitchen.

Directions:

Preheat oven 200 degrees F. Place Bowl upside down on the cookie sheet place record on top of the bowl. Once oven is preheated place in the oven for 8-10 minutes.

Now the record should be soft enough to mold, and cool enough to touch but use pot holders at first, just to be safe. The bowl and cookie sheet will be much hotter than the vinyl. Turn the bowl right side up and place the record in side it, and mold until you got the shape you want. You only have about a minute to work with it, so work fast. If it is not just right put it back in the oven for a few more minutes and try again.

Once it has completely cooled it is ready to use. It took less than five minutes for mine to cook completely. What for you may ask?

* Notice to pet owners: hair sticks to this very easily. Simply just wipe it down with a wet cloth.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have made these with 33 rpm and 45 rpm records; they make great bowls for chip and dip and other uses. I made ice cream sundae bouquets (with flowers) in plastic parfait glasses and set them on these record bowls; it was a cute addition to a birthday party; each child received an ice cream sundae bouquet.

You can also use the same method with scratched CD's or DVD's.

Bowl made from a black vinyl record

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using vinyl record bowls for food. Old vinyl records can be heated and shaped into unique bowls, but crafters question if they are food safe.

Another thrifty present for Christmas is to take some old vinyl albums or records large or small and make them into trinket bowls. Place the vinyl on top of a smaller glass bowl and put in the oven for about 5 minutes till the vinyl starts to droop into the bowl.

Videos

February 8, 2012 Flag

This short video gives you quick lesson in making a bowl from a vinyl record. It's quick, easy and fun.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 23, 2010 Flag

I have tons of vinyl records; I need information on how to craft a bowl.

Thanks. Cindy

By Cindy from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I saw this on TV,

Here's the basics:

1) Line your oven's rack with aluminum foil

2) Lay record on top of a fairly large glass, ceramic, or stainless bowl and place in a cold oven.

3) Turn oven to lowest setting and keep watch on the record. Do not leave record in oven for more that 2 minutes. After 1 or 2 minutes record will be playable.

4) After the recod s playble. Remove record and bowl from oven with oven mitts.

5) Take a second smaller bowl that will easily fit inside of the bottom bowl (above) put this bowl on TOP of the record. Use this bowl to push the record down inside of the bottom bowl.

Note. You can also use your oven mitt to push the record down into the glass bowl, and quickly arrange the folds (or "ruffles") of vinyl then put the smaller bowl inside to make a more round shape.

* If you did not work quickly enough, simply return vinyl record to oven for about 1 minute & start over again.

* Records should not be used to serve food without lining then with plastic wrap or you can place the top glass bowl inside the record and use that to serve in.

* If your record tends to stick, spray bottom bowl with Pam, then wash the Pam off with dawn dish soap after your record bowl is complete.

Best Answer

I used to make vinyl record bowls, but I only used a bowl under the vinyl to get the size I wanted. I used oven mitts and free-formed the ruffles, with some having one side higher than the other, or one side more upright.

Using the free-form shapes allowed me to do floral arrangements in some of them. I can't remember how I colored them, or if I even did color them. It was some time ago when my kids were little (the youngest is now 53).

Be careful to work with a lot of ventilation! The process releases very toxic fumes. I also wouldn't do this if you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system. Good luck.

Here is a Youtube video: http://www.tren  tube/G-KVx5U5NRA I have made tons of them.

earrings attached to record
Record Album Crafts
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 8, 2012
Bowl made from a black vinyl record
Using Vinyl Record Bowls For Food
Make Planters With Old Record Albums
Making Planters With Old Record Albums
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Record Album Cover  Bag
Making a Record Album Cover Purse
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 1:12:22 PM on 10.0.2.15 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.