FurnitureCleaning

Water Rings on Furniture

Category Furniture

I have an older pine table that is stained but not sealed. I have kept it oiled with lemon oil in our dry Colorado climate. I have a water ring that I cannot remove all the way. What can I take it off with? It is a new ring.

Help in the Rockies please...
Sue in Colorado

believe it or not....rub cigarette ashes and spit into the stain and it will go.

mayonaise alone or mixed with cigarette ashes works well.

Try breaking a pecan and rubbing it over ring the oils seem to help Good luck!!

I read a tip about this once in a magazine. While visiting a friend's house, I stupidly place a cold drink on her cherrywood coffee table. It immediately left a ring. I ran to her bathroom, brought out the toothpaste. Using a damp, soft, clean cloth I added a pea sized amount of toothpaste to the cloth and gently rubbed the "ring". It worked! And boy, was I glad it did!

I wanted to know how well this worked on older "rings", so I tried it on my own coffee table. The older rings were very stubborn, but I was able to removed them.

I don't know what it is about the paste, but it works. By the way, the toothpaste I used was a simple white Colgate brand.

Hope this helps!

Get a "Krazy Kloth" from Bed Bath & Beyond. This is what I used for my very old dining room table that was marred all over by stubborn white spots. It's loaded with some sort of oil that reconditions the wood. It's not a miracle, but it worked better than I could have imagined! Krazy Kloth sells for about 5 bucks and you can reuse it again and again.

We own a Bed and Breakfast. Although we provide coasters for our end tables and dressers in the rooms, somehow people manage to put water glasses on them. I found on the satin finish that toothpaste works best and on the high gloss finish the mayonaise or salad oil works best. The toothpaste on the high gloss finish leaves a dull ring.