Does putting water in mascara really help?

Prettyeyes from Seattle, WA

Pleas do NOT do that! It causes bacteria to grow rapidly and can cause nasty eye infections. If you already have done so throw it away.

Please don't! There is bacteria in water that reacts badly with mascara and could cause problems with your precious eyesight. I learned this years ago from my opthamologist.

my daughter is a cosmotologist and she says never keep mascara more than three months. it can get bacteria in it just from daily use. another tip is: don't jam the brush in and out to load it. you just mix air in with the mascara and dry it out faster. twist the brush in the tube repeatedly to load it.

I would not put water in the mascara. I do put hot water (not boiling) in a cup and set the mascara in it, with the lid on tight and only the bottom part is in the water, about half way up the tube for about 3 to 4 minutes. It goes on like new mascara ever time.

Putting water IN mascara is not what you do if you want to get the last tid-bit out of the bottle. What I do is put the tightly, closed tube of mascara in a small glass of hot, tap water. Make sure the water does not go above the lid line, you only need to get the bottom 1/3 of the tube in the hot water. What this does is get that last little bit of mascara warm enough to collect on the brush inside the bottle. After a few minutes, take out the tube of mascara and use as usual. I found this a great way to completely use up a tube of favorite mascara. To reclarify, you're not putting water IN the mascara, you're putting the CLOSED TUBE of mascara in hot water. Hope this helps you some!

--->Remember, If you ever get an eye infection. Do not risk giving it back to yourself... THROW THE TUBE AWAY! I've made this mistake myself!

---> Also, don't ever share your eye makeup up with friends!

& as the other posters said. Never put water or anything else in your mascara... It's not worth losing your vision for especially if you wear contacts. Be very careful!

I agree - please don't add anything to your mascara tube.

But instead of the hot water method mentioned, I have also used a blow dryer set on warm on a closed tube of mascara.

The warm air loosens the mascara and makes it thinner.

This is also a good way of extending your mascara and getting the very last bit out of the tube!

I don't use water (I used to) now I add a couple of drops of Visine and it thins it out beautifully!

Mascara Tips and Tricks
Mascara Tips and Tricks
Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up Tips MascaraNovember 8, 2006
Open tube of mascara with brush prominent.
Saving Money on Mascara
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Removing Mascara
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
🎉
🎄