My Dog is Eating Grub Worms

A dog eating something in the grass.
While pet owners may find this treat just too gross, dogs like to eat varying tidbits of fresh protein. This is a guide about my dog is eating grub worms.

My dog is eating grub worms. I know this, as I saw her licking the ground where I had stepped on some. Then out of wonder, I threw one to her and she ate it like it was a great treat. What's up with this? I now wonder if this is one reason why she likes to dig in the yard?

By Carolyn from Kansas City

Answers

Best Answer

Isn't that gross? My silly dog eats house flies! Whenever one manages to get into the house, she will chase (hunt) it all over the place until she finally corners it and snaps it up. She's very pleased with herself, while I gag over it. :) I don't think grubs and worms hurt them, just protein. But toads are another thing, I know they can make dogs extremely sick!

Best Answer

Yes my dog will search out Grubb worms and crunch them like little tasty treats every night and day. I see her doing it I even take them away from her and she just searches for tasty treats. According to experts this is verry normal, but gross.

Every time we walk our dogs they have their noses to the ground and I think they are eating grub worms! Besides being gross, can there be any harm in this? Is that what they are eating? It is worse at night. I have two beautiful female beagles.

By Robinfox from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Dogs Eating Grub Worms

Your beautiful little babies are having a ball seeing the things move and having fun doing a natural thing. I would start giving them more things to do and be concerned with, such as simple training, and here is a website that is very good about teaching on how to train a dog: leerburg.com

They have articles and podcasts that are free. The dog is just having a ball! They are high in protein (yucky). (04/21/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dogs Eating Grub Worms

Unless you have actually seen them eating worms, they are probably just using their noses as nature intended, to trail wild game. (04/29/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Dogs Eating Grub Worms

I agree with the previous posters. I think your dogs are "practicing to be a dog." That's what we say when our fourth child (the only one with 4 legs) does this in our yard. She gets the hair ruffled up on her neck and growls low in her throat and trails something (probably gophers) all around the yard. (04/30/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Dogs Eating Grub Worms

My yorkipoo is doing the same thing. This morning she actually had one in her mouth. I came up to her and she spit it out. I think she is eating them too. I realize they are dogs and they should act like one, but I don't want an adverse reaction coming from these nasty things. (11/19/2009)

By raynicole