Thrifty Uses for Salt

Too many suds in your dishwater? Sprinkle a little salt on them and they will subside in no time.

Use salt to clean your cutting board. Just sprinkle a little on a wet cutting board and scrub. There usually is a shaker of salt handy in the kitchen, you don't have to just use it for food.

Spilled some grease? When you spill some grease on your counter or stove top sprinkle a little salt on it and it will be easier to clean up.

Salt for carpet stains. Sprinkle salt on carpet stains, let sit for an hour and vacuum the salt up.

Salt for perspiration stains. Make strong salt water by diluting 1 cup salt to each gallon of water and soak shirts with perspiration stains. Or if you don't want to use as much salt you can create a solution with 4 Tablespoons salt and 1 quart of water and apply this solution directly to the perspiration stain with a rag.

What are other salt uses? Post your ideas below!

It kills fleas in the carpet too. I was using the boric products til my dear Daisy dog ate some & vomited.

Then I read here that salt worked too. It does & it's sure a LOT CHEAPER . Just sprinkle it on there & leave it alone til whenever you feel like vacuuming.

Much less fleas,everybody is happier without going into debt.

Great salt tips! Using it to control fleas is a great idea; I'd never heard of that. I use boric acid for a number of pest control problems but it must be used very carefully so pets and children can't get to it.

I use salt or baking soda for scouring many things, depending on how coarse or fine I need the abrasive. For salt my favorite use is cleaning my cast iron cookwear. My skillets and such never see soap... just hot water and salt. Ditto for the baking stone except I use soda on it unless something is cooked on pretty badly... then out comes the salt. Also try either for scrubbing coffee stains out of cups and coffee pots.

You can also use salt to clean artificial flowers. Place salt in a paper bag and place your artiflicial flowers in the bag as well and shake for a moment. The salt absorbs the dust.

Sprinkle on inside of oven just after you have had a dish spill over. This works as an abrasive to help in ease of cleaning oven and helps cut down on smoke while dish completes cooking process.

If you have a burner catch fire and don't have an extinguisher handy, sprinkle salt over the burner to help suffocate the flame.

I know that sprinkling salt on the carpet will get rid of fleas but my husband and I have a disagreement going on about whether it smothers them or they eat it. Does anyone know? Also if it works inside in the carpet would it work outside about around or in the dog pen?

Sprinkle some around the plant that is getting eaten by snails and they won't go near it. Don't use to much

You can use salt to clean your coffee pot, too. Pour about 1/4 cup of salt in, add some lemon juice or vinegar and some ice cubes and swish around, then rinse. Your coffee pot will be spotless.

i am trying the salt remedy i hope it works i have 2 cats and a puppy and TONS of fleas to go along with it and i have heard about the salt so i am trying it i hope and pray it works...thank you

Salt is wonderful at cleaning up raw egg! Cover it and wipe away (kind of like slugs....)

Salt in Bowl on White Background
Using Salt
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Drying Out a Sweating Salt Lamp
Drying Out a Sweating Salt Lamp
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
🎉
🎄