4-H Breadmaker Rolls

contest winner icon

Believe it or not, this recipe is at least 54 years old. When I was in 4-H, another member and I gave a demonstration on making rolls. I have since adapted it to my bread maker.

• 2 eggs, plus enough milk to make 1-1/4 cups
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 6 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 package yeast
  • 5 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 cup raisins, if desired

What I do is mix everything in the breadmaker and set it on the "dough" cycle.

After rolls start mixing, check and make sure they are not too dry. If they are, add a little milk or water. If too wet, add a little flour.

Then after it is done, take out, shape into dinner rolls, crescent rolls, or cinnamon rolls. Everyone who eats these rave about them. Let raise for 1/2 hour or till double in bulk and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Ovens vary so watch and if they are getting too brown, take out.

Hope you all enjoy these as much as I have.

Source: From 4-H pamphlet

By Elaine from Iowa

Do you have the original recipe before you revised it for your breadmaker, I have a KitchenAid Mixer that I use for my bread/pastry dough and would love to have the recipe. Thanks, Tim in WV

These sound good and easy. I will have to make these. Thanks for sharing.

Tim, yes, I have the original. I still have the pamphlet that I got it from. First of all it tells you that a good cook is always clean and to make sure you have a clean apron on! LOL For the demonstration in 4-H we made clover leaf rolls, butterhorns and sailor's knots. Here goes...I am doubling this so you might not need the 2 pkgs of yeast. Probably could cut it down to 1.

1 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsps. salt (you could cut that down to 1 to 1-1/2 tsp. I think)

1/4 cup shortening

2 eggs

5 cups flour

2 pkgs. yeast

Heat milk (scald) gently in saucepan. Stir it while it heats so it won't burn. Don't let it boil. Remove pan from heat.

Measure sugar, salt and shortening into large mixing bowl.

Pour hot milk into bowl and stir to melt shortening and dissolve sugar and salt. Set it aside to cool to lukewarm (80-85 degrees F).

While the milk cools, put the 1/2 cup warm water into your measuring cup for liquids. Sprinkle yeast in water and stir till dissolved.

When milk has cooled enough, add 2 cups flour. Stir till you have a smooth batter. Pour yeast into batter and stir well. Add egg. Add 3 cups flour. Then knead.

I realize your method is probably different with a dough hook but that is the original recipe.

Let rise till double in bulk and then punch down and shape into rolls. Let raise again and bake for 15 min for clover leaf, sailor knots or butterhorns and let cinnamon rolls bake in pan for about 25 minutes.

Good luck. I should mention we got a blue ribbon for these and could have gone on to state fair but we were only juniors in 4-H, had to be a senior to go to state fair.

I always remembered the one line from the demo and it was "a soft, almost sticky dough makes the best rolls".

Thanks, Elaine - nothing as good as fresh bread/rolls with real butter......thanks again.

Could you please tell me how you go about making these into Cinnamon rolls? Thank you for your time.

I made em Sunday, they turned out allright.

I think I should of let the dough cycle of the breadmaker complete, I didn't let it knead enough only 20 or so minutes. So they were a bit tough.

I am sure if I would of let it go the whole hour and a half it would of turned out better.

Just letting ya'll know, it needs a good knead!

I have been looking for the clover leaf roll recipe for many years. I was in 4-H in Jay County, Indiana until 1973 (since sometime in the early 60's). I loved it !!

I still have all of my yearly pins and awards, but they are now on a charm bracelet. I cherish them dearly. What a great organization.

Bonita Smith Jacobson

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads Bread MachineAugust 21, 2008
Regal Breadmaker Instruction Manual
Regal Bread Maker Instruction Manuals and Recipes
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Making Crayon Rolls
Making Crayon Rolls
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls