Getting Rid of Raccoons

I am having raccoon problems bad. They are not scared of people. They are messing all over my deck. Animal control won't pick them up. I called the government place and they wanted $300.00 just to come out, plus $10.00 for each trap. I can't go that way. Can someone give me ideas to run them off, I don't want to hurt them, just scare them off. Thanks.

By cookie17 from VA

Raccoons are not good. I had many problems with them. First, don't leave any pet food outside your house because they love it. 2nd, no chickens or kittens outside at night. They will kill them. One way to keep them away is to find out where they sleep during the day, and then set up a bright light right where they sleep. They hate bright light. Sometimes they will leave, sometimes they won't. I don't know what to tell you if this doesn't work. They will keep coming back. Good luck.

Several choices. I feed mine. They showed up very thin. My one cat now sleeps with them. I wouldn't trust them hungry, though. Another choice is to livetrap (if you are sure there are no babies) and relocate. I got a wonderful price on livettraps at Heartland. Trap 10 times better than Havaheart.

In my area a 20 gauge works great, If you live in the city, this option won't help and even in the country we do not like to kill animals unless we have to. The one thing you do not want to do is to put out something like pepper flakes or anything that can sting their eyes, one man reported seeing an animal gouge it's eyes out because of the pain. A good deterrent is moth balls scattered around areas they frequent, plus be careful about leaving food out. We feed stray cats, to keep field mice in control, but now we just put out a little in the am and again in the pm. The strays learn this routine and also they better eat up before it is gone. Good luck and do not take any chances with these cute critters, they can strip the meat off your fingers before you know it.

I don't know how to get rid of the raccoons but I had the same problem with raccoons messing on our deck. I sprayed the area with just plain water and they came back to the same spot and did the same thing. So, I put some Dawn(Original Scent) dish washing liquid in a bucket of water and scrubbed the area real good and then rinsed it with plain water. That was a couple months ago and I have not seen any messes since. Dawn also works for lots of other things, has to be Dawn (Original Scent). Hope this helps some.

Hey, jrpaslay, kelreg, muttmom, & laramay, for all your great help in trying to help get rid of masked bandits. Man next store keeps feeding them so he can have them, lol. Thanks everyone of you. Cookie17

Raccoon Getting into Birdfeeder
Getting Rid of Raccoons
Home and Garden Pest Control RaccoonsAugust 5, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
🎄