Keeping Raccoons Out of Hummingbird Feeders

Category Raccoons
Raccoons can stand upright, so it is important to hang your hummingbird feeder out of reach from porch railings or other surfaces that they could stand on. This is a guide about keeping raccoons out of hummingbird feeders.

I just wanted to say that hummingbird feeders found drained quickly can be something other than bees. Yes, we had something at night draining ours, so we set up a camera and found a raccoon could climb up on the railing just under our feeder, get up on his hind legs, and tip the feeder just enough so the food would run right into his mouth! Barely spilled a drop! It was great. Yes, that feeder is now moved out of his reach!

They are very good at that ...I had to hang mine way our away from my deck rails ...funny to watch them though they are really good at tipping the feeder and drinking them dry....

That's funny about the racoon drinking from your hummingbird feeder.

You're right, so many other birds and animals love to partake in the yummy sweet juice too. And once they learn it's there, they're hooked, haha :)

So many times I'll look outside at our feeders, and there's someone other than a hummingbird drinking from it. hehehe

All kinds of birds, not even hummingbirds, have learned how to shake that juice out of the port hole one way or another too.

This is just a 9 second video of a bird that's learned how to get "hummingbird juice" from the feeder. It's quick, but this little guy
is now here daily too. The hummingbirds flare at him to go away, but he doesn't know what that means, hehe
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBgrCP-O08

That is adorable!! I do have the video of the reccoin, but it it really dark. I'll have to see if I can tweek it.