Thread Keeps Breaking on Sewing Machine and Needle Stops Working

Why does my sewing machine keep snapping the needle thread? It is good quality thread, the machine is threaded correctly, and the tension is correct. (I think, though I find this difficult to believe.) Also, for no apparent reason, the needle function will suddenly seize up and foot pedal won't move it. I have to turn it manually. Any ideas please?

By ACW from SomewhereinMI, MI

Best Answer

My 30+year old Singer was doing that-turned out to be a broken gear inside the machine.

I tried everything else first: changed needles, to a brand new spool of thread and bobbin thread, adjusted tension (including the bobbin tension), a few other things I can't recall now. Nothing worked so I Googled, LOL, and found out the reason thread breaks and the machine won't progress might be a broken bobbin gear.

Had my machine out to the elderly man who used to work in the Singer factory where my lovely old machine was built (I live in Scotland). I had the machine back in a week and it's run beautifully since.

The timing could be off. Does it bunches up on the bottom? It doesn't cost too much to have it fixed.

My Pfaff if very sensitive to dust and small thread bits. If I clean it really well it usually solves the problems. I am talking about the area where the bobbin goes in. Good luck.