JelloDesserts

Freezing Jello

Has anyone ever tried freezing Jello? I am pretty sure it would be okay if eaten while still frozen as a Popsicle, but what about if you let it thaw in the fridge instead?

By Deeli

Read the label on most popsicle products & gelatin is usually an ingredient. That's why popsicles you buy have a better texture than homemade ones. But these days they've sometimes exchanged the gelatin for a seaweed extract or a similar ingredient. It's okay if it's thawed in the fridge but I wouldn't eat it if it's over 5 days old because gelatin is made from cow hides, so it's kind of a "meat" product, but much more refined. (I called the Jell-O company since I'm a vegetarian to ask what gelatin is made from. I thought it was made from hoofs, but I was wrong, it's made from hides.)

Experiment and freeze a portion and see how it does when it's thawed out. It might be better as a frozen dessert. Let us know how it works for you.

Hi OliveOyl and Cyinda :-)

I was just wondering if anyone already knew for certain if jello is freezable because I don't want to be wasteful experimenting. Hoping someone has already done it and will post the results otherwise I'll pass on trying it ;-)

I learned something new, Cyinda, because I didn't know what gelatin was made of. You made me curious so I just looked it up and it's collagen/protein extracted during hydrolysis from bones, hooves and skin. It must be difficult for you because gelatin is a binder used in many, many ingested items including (but not limited to) gel cap coated pills, lozenges, marshmallows, gummy bears, sour cream, cream cheese, yoghurt, cake frosting, soups and even chewing gum :-o It's also in ointments and cosmetics :-o