Making Jewelry from China Dishes

I would like to cut some designs out of china dishes. Does anyone know what kind of tool I need or how to do it? I saw some lovely jewelry made out of pieces of broken plates and would love to try it myself.

By Marlene from Billerica, MA

I don't know about small items but there is a table saw for ceramic tile at home depot. I'll bet they could advise you.

Decide what type of jewelry from china that you want to make. Pendants, necklaces, pins and earrings are most suited since china is delicate. Bracelets and rings take greater abuse and are more prone to break.

Remember your china already broke once and you are re purposing it into jewelry from China. No need to press your luck.

Step 2 Sketch out your design for your jewelry from china. You can break the china and use the organic pieces or you can create a defined pattern and cut the china into shapes you desire using glass nippers or a jewelry saw and blade.

Step 3 Select the finding needed to make your jewelry from china. You will need ear wires to make earrings, a bail to make a pendant or a jump ring to make a charm to hang from a necklace or bracelet.

Step 4 File and then sand the broken china to remove all sharp edges.

Step 5 Drill a hole in the broken china using a drill and a diamond drill bit. Drill slowly and submerge the china in water as you drill. Take care to keep power tools away from the water you are using as a lubricant for your diamond drill bit.

Step 6 Feed the finding through the hole you drilled with your diamond drill bit to turn your broken plate into jewelry from china.good luck.

You may want to consider wire wrapping your china pieces if you aren't able to drill holes after you cut your pieces with a jewelry saw.