Removing Odors From Jars

contest winner icon

I've really gotten into washing out and reusing jars and containers instead of buying brand plastic products. Sometimes the best jars have really tough odors, like pickle and olive jars. I've used this tip that was taught to me from a lovely lady when I was just a child. Wad up a page of newspaper, put it in the jar, seal it, and let it sit for a few days. When you take the paper out, you won't smell any trace of the previous item!

Also, along the same lines, if your refrigerator needs an air freshener, put a few charcoal briquets in a bowl in the back. Works like a charm!

By Maile from Onalaska, WA

Charcoal briquets also work for musty dank odors in basements. Place as many briquets as you like in a bowl or container of your choice and place in the corners of the room. Your basement will be odor-free.

Wow this is the most amazing thing ever! Just the other day - I tried to do the same thing. I happened to sniff at a jar used to have. God knows what was in it. I wanted to to use for rice or something. Couldn't because of the evil smell! Will definitely try your tip & see if it works :D

I had an old school year book and baby albums that had been in a box, they got a bit of a musty smell. I layered sheets of newspaper between the pages here and there throughout the books. Put these inside a small white kitchen garbage bag, then waded up a few sheets of newspaper and placed inside the bag as well. Sealed the bag shut tightly and leave for a week or two. It will remove the smell.

Thai food in a plastic container
Removing Odors from Plastic Containers
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 22, 2011
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
large couch
Removing Odors from Furniture
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors