Peony Bushes Not Blooming

I live in Ohio (zone 5) and my peony bush is not blooming. Someone else I know is having the same problem. I water it regularly and it is in direct sun. Any thoughts on this? It looks healthy, nice and green and sturdy, but no buds or blooms.

Thanks.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Does it have ants crawling on it? I had that happen one time many years ago. We had a row of them along our driveway, that was about forty feet long and when the plants didn't look like they were going to bloom when they should----they had nice big buds on them, but there weren't ants on them, so we went out in the yard where we would see various ant hills in various places, and transplanted ants from the hills to the plants, and after that the plants started to bloom. Evidently the ants pollinate the plants.

If they are not setting buds then they are planted to deep. Peony need to be planted shallow. If you can see some of the root when planting that is ok. So you need to break up the roots and replant. You will probably have plants left over to give away. The earlier post is correct on the ants. Ants help them to bloom.

Frank

Growing Peonies
Growing Peonies
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 24, 2011
bittersweet
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
Photo of blackberries on the vine.
Getting Rid of Blackberry Bushes
🎉
🎄