Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Surprise 30th Birthday Party

My husband is turning 30 this year and I wanted to have a surprise birthday party. He is a die hard Chicago Bears fan so I am going with a football theme. I plan on having a karaoke machine with music from the year he was born. I need some suggestions on what else to plan for the party. Thanks.

By Sandra from Midland, TX

By Lee Taylor [10]10/05/2010

Here's the website for the Chicago Bears. They have lots of gift ideas, fan memberships, etc.
http://www.chicagobears.com/index2.html

By katrina [5]10/01/2010

Why not include lots of music from when he was a teenager? And room for dancing! and make it like a tailgate party when watching a game! lots of hot chicken wings, chili, etc.

Here are questions related to Surprise 30th Birthday Party.

Question: Inviting Family to a Surprise 30th Birthday Party

I'm throwing a surprise party for my husband's 30th birthday. His parents are in on it. Should I invite my parents and others in his family? My sister and brother in law will be there too, as they are close with us. I don't want my parents or his other local family members to feel left out, but I am not sure how common it is for a lot of family at a 30th birthday celebration.

By Sophie M.

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.08/16/2011

I think you should invite anyone that you think would like to come! Certainly invite family members. Why not?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

My husband is turning 30 in April and I need ideas as far as celebrating. He does not want a party, however I would like to do something that involves some of our close friends and family. He is really into cycling right now. However I'm not sure what to do since he does not want one.

Crystal from Pasadena, CA

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

If he doesn't want a "surprise" party, perhaps you could invite people to cycle to a local destination for a surprise "picnic." For my husband's big day, we made a "time capsule" and everyone had to bring something to put in the capsule about the times and the birthday person. Then we "buried" the time capsule in the attic with the names of all in attendance at the party. It turned out to be great, great fun! (01/18/2008)

By Carol

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

He said he doesn't want a party. Wouldn't a quiet celebration for just the two of you be more special than making him think you don't respect his wishes (I've been married for 40 years, I've learned lol)? It's a special day for his mom too. If they live nearby, perhaps suggest going out to dinner with his parents. They'll appreciate you for it. (01/18/2008)

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

My husband doesn't want a party either. So I have to make this something he will really love. He is a sushi freak! We have a friend who is a sushi chef and he has agreed to come and make sushi for the party. He recommended charging $15 per couple to help cover the cost instead of any gifts. I also love the time capsule idea and the casino idea. I think I will implement both of those at the party. (02/05/2008)

By Aimee

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

I am planning a 30th birthday party celebration for my husband this month. Since February is the month of love, friendship and so forth, I plan on decorating with valentine decoration except that it will not say "Happy Valentines". Instead, I will only use the color red, black and maybe white and I will also decorate with hearts and roses. Do you think it's a cheesy theme for a 30th birthday? Let's remember that I will celebrate his birthday 2days after Valentines. (02/09/2008)

By Wendy

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

Hi! My husband's 30th birthday is on April 28 and I have been racking my brain for something. Originally I was going to take him to Las Vegas and have family and close friends there as a surprise - but we couldn't work it out with everyone's schedule, but I still think it's a great idea if you have a small number of people.

He also loves snakes and used to joke that he wanted a snake party like little boys get. Soooo... his mother and I booked him a snake party today. They apparently have done adult parties before and promised to make it on par for adults. He is going to be so excited. We are making it a complete surprise for EVERYONE, including the guests. We are telling my husband that everyone in the family is getting together the Sunday before his birthday to celebrate his day, and then surprise him with his snake party and guests.

His parents have a nice little house on 2/3 of an acre so I thought we might do tex-mex for food with beer and margaritas. I also want to maybe have a pinata full of adult interests like alcohol and lottery tickets. I'm going to decorate with framed pictures of him growing up in different sizes and am commissioning a caricature artist to sketch a large picture of him and matte it for guests to sign around to commemorate the party. I'm also considering including a 'memories' page with the guests invitations - so they can fill it out and read it at the party and if they can't make it - mail it back to me so he has it. I also thought making buttons for the guests to wear and a special t-shirt for the birthday boy. Happy planning to all!

(03/10/2008)

By Darcy

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

I recommend a Casino Themed House party. (04/14/2008)

By Crystal

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

I threw my husband a surprise 30th party a couple years ago and it was great. It was in December and close to Christmas, so I had my friend send us an invitation in the mail to her Friends & Family Christmas party. My husband didn't want to go, but agreed to anyways. He was so shocked when we walked in and everyone yelled "surprise!". We had a nice evening and I made a DVD of his 30 years using a couple songs and pictures of him growing up until the present with pics of us together...the best song choice was...My Next 30 years by Tim McGraw. Everyone loved the video! (07/16/2008)

By Linda

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

Why not send your husband a "SURPRISE" he'll remember forever. On my husbands 30th Birthday we sent him a Big Sign on the front yard with a lot of little signs. It was a giant cake with candles and cupcakes and Happy 30th Birthday TEDDY written across the lawn, for all our friends and family to see! Our neighbors would HONK their horn in a Happy Birthday gesture and some stopped by to wish him a Happy Birthday! They even left us a framed picture when they came to pick it up. He says to this day that "I got him!" and wait until it's my turn. All in good fun! We used *FUNNYYARDCARDRENTAL.com but there are locations everywhere. Their website now has links to other states that do this too. In case you're not in Central Florida, Orlando area. I'm planning on using this again for His "Over the Hill" surprise next! shhh... (08/07/2008)

By Apopka

RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

I threw a 30th surprise party for my mum after looking at this website and seeing some fantastic ideas, my mum loved her 30th that I planned! (09/18/2008)

By jade

Archive: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

My sister is turning 30 this April and I wanted to throw a surprise party for her. She is my best friend and she deserves one especially with everything she's been through this past year. Can someone please help and give me some advice on to how to plan this. Much appreciated!

Stephanie from Trenton, NJ