Smoothing a Rough Cement Patio

Last year we had a cement patio poured in back of the house. They insisted on "brooming" it, making little grooves which I protested but they did it anyhow. Is there any way to sand that down so it is smooth? Also, my husband was repairing the lawn mower on the patio and spilled oil and/or grease on it. He insisted on cleaning it by using Gojo, water and a wire brush, despite everyone's advice NOT to do that. Now our new patio looks awful! Any suggestions? It isn't in spots where I could cover it with lawn furniture or planters either. I am sick about it.

Marlene from Larimore, ND

Instead of changing the floor's surface, install a floating floor to cover up the mess. Interlocking 'rubber' tiles in various colors. It's at Lowe's. Might also be at Home Depot.

Saw it on an Oprah tv show that aired on 5-17-07, in which she paid for some spiffed up some apartment patios with the help of an Australian designer.

I wish she'd do the same for my house.

Get a pressure washer and pressure wash it...if you do it correctly it will remove the layer of concrete where it is ruined. Of course, you can not do this all the time, because you will "wash away" your concrete. But in order to fix it, do this and further cleaning can be done with a brush and bleach mixture...bleach and water...will clean it and get rid of all mold mildew, organic matter stains, etc. Other than this, your only option is to cover it up..as the other post suggested Good Luck

Hi - I was able to remove nut stains from my patio using oxyclean and a brush. I wet down the surface, sprinkled on oxy-clean and used a barn brush to scrub with. It worked very well, perhaps it will work on oil as well. Good luck!

My DH is a cement finisher and "brooming" concrete is meant for driveways and sidewalks ( to prevent slipping on when wet).

If you asked for a shiny finish that's what you should have gotten.

Whoever did your patio broomed it because they didn't want to sit around and power trowel to a smooth finish, which is what should have been done.

They figured that they could broom it and move on to another job.

It's too bad that a year has passed, I don't know about the laws where you are.

I don't know anything that will make it smooth, except a recap( a thin layer of concrete on top)

I don't know what your concrete is like where you are, we are in northern Alberta, Canada and there is no way a pressure washer will remove the ridges.

If you remove the top layer you will expose the rocks underneath and that will make a worse mess.

I would spread the word around the neighborhood about this contractor.

Also if you hire a contractor for any job, don't be afraid to go and take pictures, before, during and after.

Nothing makes me more mad than contractors who are " in it only for the money"

If you don't take pride in your work, no matter what your occupation you shouldn't be doing it.

People work too hard for their money.

I used a pressure washer and took off the patina I sealed it last year (12 yrs old), and I just noticed some flaking and acne(pitting). What can I do to stop the cancer?

The best way is to use a angle grinder with a diamond cup. this will work the best. Beware it will create dust, wear a mask

Smoothing Concrete
Smoothing and Sealing Concrete
Home and Garden Home Improvement Patio and DeckingMay 16, 2007
Stains on Cement
Removing Stains on Cement
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Smoothing Rough Edges
Smoothing Rough Edges on Glass and Plastic Crafts
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
🎄