Recycled CraftsCrafts

Sewing Terrycloth Towel Seams

We foster a few small pooches, and any "old" cotton bath towel gets cut in half for bath towels or bed liners for warmth. Could someone tell me how I can make a seam for that cut end?

We have an old, faithful home sewing machine and I would like to know how to adjust the foot pressure so that the terrycloth is not squashed flat when it passes under the needle. (it really looks bad). My curiosity is killing me, can someone please tell me?
Thanks every one of you.

By JoAnn from Baltimore, MD

I sewed several dishcloths for my army son. I cut two dish towels in half and had to use a Size 16 in my sewing machine. The Size 16 needle should be used for any heavy fabric such as towels. I had to turn the raw edges over twice and sewed the seam. There isn't much you can do if the fabric gets squashed flat when it passes under the needle. You might need to adjust the pressure on the pressure foot if possible on your sewing machine.

You're dealing with dogs not humans.

I use my serger to finish raw edges like this especially as the towels make for such a thick turn under.

A very easy solution is just zigzag the edges. I do this for towels or washcloths that are becoming frayed but that I still want to use. It makes for a neat utilitarian edge.

you can use your pinking share scissors and don't forget to length your stitch when sewing