Getting Rid of Yellow Jackets in Your House

Yellow jackets can enter your home through very small openings, such as damaged screens and attic vents. This is a guide about getting rid of yellow jackets in your home.

January 11, 2016 Flag

I am finding several yellow jackets in the house in the winter season. They are very slow acting.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a trap that allows them in but not out. Who knew they were carnivores so you put in some fruit juice, sugar and meat. Raw is best. Here is a photo and the link to where you can get them. I found mine at Sherm's in Roseburg but almost every where has them.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source ... p;ie=UTF-8#q=yellow%20jacket%20traps

October 4, 2007 Flag

Help, we have hundreds (and I am not kidding) of yellow jackets in our home. We have probably killed 6 or 7 hundred but they are still here. Any advice. No one has gotten stung yet except the dog.

Barb from Fairview, MI

If there is a grain store in your area, you can pick up traps. They have something inside to draw the bees and then thay can't get out. If you don't have a grain store, google for AGWAY, You should be able to order by mail. Good Luck

By all means, call an exterminator. There may be a hole in the attic, basement, somewhere that they are getting in. There is probably a large nest somewhere if there are that many. I had yellow jackets once in my yard near my front porch (I'd even told the mailman to not leave any mail especially if it was only junk) and the exterminator came out with a hip bottle. When he saw my infestation, he left and came out with a truck full of chemicals (he wasn't going to take any chances). Also, yellow jackets are best treated in the evening when they are back in their nest rather in the daytime when they are most active.

The exterminator was not all that expensive either!

Hi Everyone, who took time to answer my request about the yellow jackets. We have tried the sugar and water and the traps, my husband has gone out at night and gotten rid of some nests but we think that they are wasps nests. we have calked every hole we can find and now they are in our lower level too. As far as an exterminator is concerned the closest one is over an hour away and I am not sure they would come this far. I guess a simple phone call would find out. I guess I could pray for a quick cold hard frost. But it is too nice out now, and living in northern Michigan we take all the warm weather we can get.

We had problems with bees at our ranch and found a spot where they were entering the wall on the outside of the house. We waited till dark then wet the area with water and threw Seven Dust on the damp wall where they were landing to enter. The next morning the bees were gone. This was in south Texas where there have been African Bees found so we chose this method not wanting to wait and see if they were African or Honey Bees.

August 18, 2011 Flag

Yellow jackets are getting into my house. Last year I lit them up by pouring gas down their holes in the yard and striking a match. It worked, but now they are really mad. I found 2 spots were they are swarming around at the top of my roof and I have used 15 cans of Jacket spray and sealed them off with the expanding foam from the Home Depot.

They are still getting in, I saw some actually coming in thru the electrical plates on the wall in the kitchen. Now they are coming in on the 3rd floor. An exterminator is not an option at this point. I want to get rid of them myself. Any suggestions?

By Jon

Jon,

I swear by a spray called Poison Free by Victor - www.victorpest.com. It contains mint oil and hornets hate it. You can use oil of mint from the grocery store, but make sure it is the pure extract. Use a cotton ball to apply it around the areas where they're getting in. Your house will smell like a big candy cane, but it should deter them.

They will actually survive a fire. Torching them only burns their wings off and makes them mad, but they can still reproduce. They can only survive down to about 45deg F so the gas by itself will usually do it. Also remember to blast their nest after dark or you won't get all of them. Don't use a flashlignt either, that wakes them up. Try to find a red LED light because they can't see colors. Just a footnote: I'm not a tree-hugger, but the EPA doesn't like us pouring gas into the environment because "if everybody did it....yada yada..."

Go get 'em but "bee" careful! :)

Rick

I personally wouldn't use gasoline, lit or unlit, anywhere near or in my home. Perhaps you could call your county offices and homeowners insurance company for advice about low cost and/or self help ideas.

If they are as bad as what you described no amount of spraying (no matter how good the spray is) is going to help. You need to get a professional exterminator in. Deeli suggested calling your county offices and homeowners insurance company for help. They may or may not be of any help but it won't cost anything to try. A pro is going to cost a small (or maybe large) fortune, but with the problem you have it's your only choice.

Good luck!

Why do you want to do it yourself? You may not be able to. Call the exterminator and be done with it.

November 19, 2014 Flag

How do I get rid of yellow jackets that have come into my house with this cold weather? I think they got into my garage wall and there was one nest in my gutter. Will they eventually die or should I call an exterminator?

By Arlene

If you know they have taken up residence in your wall, and you can see where they go in and out, you could try spraying them with a good insecticide. Get one that is made for these particular insects. I use a spray foam one. There are several good brands, and you don't need to get too close as they spray a long way. I deal with hornets' nests this way. If you do it after dark, when they are in their nest, you run little risk of getting stung. I have never been stung doing this.

October 24, 2006 Flag

I have yellowjackets in the ground. What's the best way to get rid of them?

Ron from NW Florida

Boil a large pot of water and pour it down the hole where you have yellowjackets. That ought to do it.

If you want a more exciting way to do it, try the method my dad and I always did- Pour diesel fuel into the hole, then light it with a *long* stick. It's not explosive, but you will have a smaller version of the Eternal Flame in your yard for a while, depending on how much fuel you use. The paper nest soaks up the diesel and burns slowly. I wouldn't recommend actual gasoline, though. That's just silly.

Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsMay 8, 2013
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cleaning Life Jackets
Cleaning Life Jackets
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🎄