Using File Cards For Organizing Addresses

I use a 3x5 inch recipe/file box to alphabetically organize personal names, addresses, phone numbers and any other information. I use the tabbed dividers for keeping this in alphabetical order.

Each index card has all the information about that particular person; name, address, phone numbers (home, cell, office, emergency), birthday with the year, anniversary with the year, e-mail address, any favorites for gift ideas, favorite songs/movies, colors, etc. I also pencil the date next to the current phone numbers since at times some numbers may change.

The index card provides a lot of space to use for notes since both sides can be used. When there is any major changes, a new card can be rewritten. Or just add an update when needed.

You can also use a separate box for business phone numbers and information. We have several different local pizzerias that we like. Instead of listing by the business name, I write all the names of the pizzerias on one card and file it under "Pizza". You can make any special notes about their daily sales or specials that they may have.

I still keep a small separate personal directory for phone numbers for daily use. I realize this information can be stored on a computer, cell phone etc. but I still believe in using the old-fashioned way while organizing my life.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

I have used index cards for years for addresses & phone numbers, kid's names, b'days, anniversary, etc. Most helpful is when I send Christmas cards, I write the year & check it if I receive a cards from them. Also on the back of the card I have directions to their home as well as their parents names and hometown.

I like this! By doing this if for any reason someone else needs a number all they have to do is look in your box. if it is in your cell phone then only you will be able to pull it up. The good old fashion way is better in lots of ways!!

I thought of this idea a LONG time ago and it does work really well! I introduced my mom to the idea and she uses it. It's so easy to write the person's info. down in pencil so that you can just erase it if something should change, like their address.

If you have business cards from businesses, it's a good idea to staple it directly onto an index card and just put it right in your file, too!

Here's another bonus: put a small christmas sticker in the upper right corner of the index cards of those who sent you Christmas cards last year. It's an easy way to keep track of who to send cards to!

Thanks for mentioning this great idea to others!

This method sounds like something I would've done, back in my sighted days. Sometimes the old-fashioned way really does work best. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you've helped someone get more organized today.

I keep all of my personal and business (utility companies, insurance, doctors, friends, etc.) files on an excel worksheet on my computer. It is on 2 pages and includes addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, policy numbers, etc. I use a small font and refer to it constantly. Easy to change information. I also fold one copy and keep it in my wallet for quick references when I am not at home.

I tried this but, for me, an address book works best. We all have our different ways of doing things.

Of course the old fashioned way is the better way, but I don't say that to anger the techno generation, it's just that sometimes the power goes off, or the computer crashes, or the cell doesn't have service and a person needs to have connection to someone not standing right next to them. Wonderful of you to share this "old-fashioned" idea.

Rolodex
Organizing Phone Numbers
Organizing TipsApril 22, 2010
downloading a file
Deleting a Downloaded File
Organizing Household Paperwork
Organizing Household Paperwork
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
Reusing File Folders
Reusing File Folders
🎄