Organizing Unused Greeting Cards

Save extra holiday cards and stock up on frequently used greeting cards when you see a good price and choice. Then by organizing them you can always find what you need for that special occasion. This is a guide about organizing unused greeting cards.

To save money on greeting cards, keep a card file! I am always on the hunt for bargain cards/note cards to send for birthdays and other occasions. I even have get well, and sympathy cards on hand.

I find them at dollar stores, thrift shops, and even as gifts from card manufacturers. I just got sweet cards for hubby's birthday in a box of cards. I also keep a calligraphy pen set to write in personalized greetings; especially in note cards without any greeting inside. Your recipients will have no idea that the card priced at $3-4 on the back was gotten for $.25 or less!

By pam munro from LA, CA

My mother always had a well-stocked card box and I carried on her tradition. Every time I shop for cards, I will find several I like or sometimes I like one so much I get several of it. Hallmark runs buy 3 get 1 free promotions in the discount stores, making it easy to do so. I also take advantage of sales where boxes of cards have been marked down. I make sure I have a variety - boys, girls, men, women, family, condolence, congratulations, weddings, showers, new babies, etc.

Holiday cards that get marked down to 75% or more after Christmas and Hanukkah can also be picked up for your holiday card box. Dollar Tree and other dollar stores carry greeting cards at 2/$1 all the time. I never have to go out for a card.

In our family, we keep all the greeting cards contained in a nice plastic container. It works pretty well, but when you went to look for an appropriate card, you'd have to sort through all of them to find the right kind. I discovered a functional and thrifty way to organize the cards.

I took cheap paper folders (the kind you can get for 10 cents at back to school sales) and cut them in half, so that one half would have both pockets and the other half would not have pockets. I then put the cards, sorted by category into the little compartments. The pocketed ones are good for cards I had less of, such as graduation and get well.

I took the top half with no pockets and used it as a folder for cards I had more of, like birthday, that could not all fit into the pockets well. Each pocketed portion hold a different category of cards. I used a permanent marker on the outside front to label the categories.

We keep them in a plastic container, but you could use a cardboard box or some extra space in a drawer. It is a good way to keep a close inventory on your cards and is much cheaper than pricey premade card caddies.

By Brittany

In my less organized life, I often found myself without a card for a birthday, anniversary or even get well. I now "Stock-up" when I am at the card store. We have a 49 cent card store in Louisville that I use for this purpose.

At the beginning of each month, I select a card from my stash, sign, address and write the mailing date in the stamp area. If I don't have an appropriate card, I put it on my shopping list.

Cards are no longer late and I am not making expensive runs to the card store (gas is over $3 a gallon in my area today).

Since time is money, I have saved both by being more organized. In addition, I store cards in a card keeper I received free with a 10 card purchase.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

I decided to purchase greeting cards ahead of time to avoid constant running to the store. I bought a Pendaflex Expanding Folder...

I always have greeting cards of all genres in my house. I get them for free often when CVS combines a deal with extra care bucks. I also go to estate and garage sales, and thrift shops.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How do I store unused greeting cards? And received greeting cards.

By CAT from Laurel DE

Answers

I keep a 3-ring binder notebook, and have about 100 plastic sheet protectors in them. (You can buy these sheet protectors at Walmart. They are less than $4 for 50 of them). I keep my greeting cards that I want to keep in them. Some cards are small, and they tend to slide out of the sheet protector, so I close some of them up with a plastic paper clip.

I also have another 3-ring binder notebook with sheet protectors in which I keep copies of my favorite magazine. I know you can scan the cards into your computer but it's just not the same as having the actual physical product. I hope this helps.