Donating Greeting Cards to St. Jude's Recycled Card Program

Update: St. Jude's has discontinued this program due to a lack of demand and the difficulties in running the program.

Here is a link with more information:

St. Jude's Recycled Card Program

Editor's Note: St. Jude's no longer accepts greeting cards.

This is a tip to not only help sick children learn entrepreneurship, but a chance to teach your own children and grandchildren the gift of sharing and caring, particularly here at Christmas time.

St. Jude's Ranch for Children has a Recycled Card Program where the children takes used cards and make new ones; which they then sell on the St. Jude's Ranch website.

The rewards are great. You get satisfaction in knowing the cards are used to help sick children, plus it helps keep your storage area uncluttered. The sick children get satisfaction in taking an old, used card and making it into a brand new one; plus they receive money for their 'work' and they are taught entrepreneurship skills.

All it costs you is the price of mailing. Please consider this possibility when looking for something to entertain and teach your children during this busy Christmas season.

At this time, they are in particular need of Birthday and Thank You cards. Also, you can buy these 'refurbished' cards through their website.

The ladies in my Bible Study group sends many, many cards each year and split the mailing costs. This system works great for my group.

Their website is: Recycled Card Program

By Norma from Parrott, GA

Is the recycled cards program still in need of cards?

By M.A. Kitchens

Answers

As an environmental educator, I teach workshops on how to use greeting cards (full cards) to make all sorts of fun things (bookmarks, mini boxes, etc.) I would love to get your cards; please send to: Earth Inspired Crafts and Education, P O Box 1981, Allen, TX 75013-1981
Thanks so much for your consideration!

Forgot to mention (!) that beautiful, dimensional, new cards can be made from pre-used cards; I'll send such a repurposed thank-you card anyone who sends me their stash of cards! Thanks again!

Hello Caseye, are you still collecting used greeting cards? I have about 50-75. thank you!

Anonymous

what is zip code of boulder,city,nv

Do you still want greeting cards? I already took the backs off but now st Jude no longer accepting them?

I have a variety of cards received over the years but would only want to send the front of it because of the notes written. I could cut out the message that went with the card. Could you use these? Pat

Hi Casey - I have hundreds of unused greeting cards that cover many holidays and special days. A friend was cleaning out her house to sell it so I took the cards and bagged them according to category.

Are you still taking cards? Is it okay if I send them book/media rate, if that still exists? And what is your current address? Thanks much - Anne

Your post carries an older date. Do you still want greeting cards? Just the front? The whole thing? I will be glad to mail them to you. Elaine

This member has not responded in a long time and cards sent to that location are returned to sender. I don't think they are in operation anymore.

Is it OK to cut the backs of cards if we are sure they aren't Hallmark, American Greetings, or Disney? It makes them lighter and cheaper to mail.

By Mary W.

Answers

This is from the St. Jude web site.

Recycled Card Program
Send your used cards (Christmas, birthday, any type!) to the children at St. Judes Ranch. The kids there will cut the fronts off of the old cards and affix new backs, creating new cards! The cards can be purchased on their website.

Who does this program benefit? It benefits all of US by encouraging us to go green and recycle. It benefits the children at St. Judes Ranch by teaching them about recycling and earning some spending money!

St. Judes Ranch is accepting used, all-occasion cards year round!

You can mail your donations to:
St. Judes Ranch for Children
Recycled Card Program
100 St. Judes Street Boulder City, NV 89005
877-977-SJRC (7572)

Some card donating tips:
All types of greeting cards, including Christmas are used.
Only the card front can be used (please check to be sure the back side is clear of any writing, etc.)
They can not accept Hallmark, Disney or American Greeting cards.

5 x 7 size or smaller is preferred.

Where do I send holiday cards to be used for St. Jude's Ranch? What is the address? What is the deadline?

By Marianne Ferrara from NY

Answers:

Donate Cards to St. Jude's Recycled Card Program

From their website:

http://www.stjudesranch.org/help_card.php

We are accepting used, all-occasion cards from: November 15, 2009 - February 28, 2010. You can mail your donations to:

St. Jude's Ranch for Children
Recycled Card Program
100 St. Jude's Street - Boulder City, NV 89005
(02/02/2010)

By KL

Give your Christmas cards again!

After you have enjoyed all those great cards you received from your family and friends, donate them to St. Jude's Recycled Card program. The kids cut the front of the card and reuse them to make new ones that they later sell. This gives them not only money to help beat their illness, but also something that they can do to help themselves.

So, keep the Christmas spirit alive and give those cards again.

Source: stjudesranch.org

By AustinJen from Austin, TX

Answers:

I had donated card fronts to them for many years until they stopped the program. I didn't know that it had resumed, so thanks for the update. I did notice, though, that they are only accepting the card fronts until February 28, 2010. (01/01/2010)

By Maryeileen

An alternative to St. Jude's if you find they won't accept cards after a certain date. I would be most grateful to get your holiday and/or everyday cards (especially need birthday, anniversary, get-well, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's, etc. and can use the entire card, not just the front). I'm an environmental educator and teach kids how to make things with cards all year long (many projects from fabulous Thrifty Fun readers). Contact me here at ThriftyFun.
Thanks ever so much.

Casey
(01/02/2010)

By Caseye