Reusing Greeting Cards as Postcards

Category Reusing
Give sentimental or funny greeting cards a longer life by sharing them a second time. This guide explains how easy it is to reuse greeting cards as postcards.

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address. You save money not having to buy cards and the postage is cheaper on postcards. They can be quite pretty and its a good way to reuse the cards.

You can also cut last year's Christmas cards and put a hole in them and a ribbon and hang from your Christmas tree.

By Dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Any card you receive, that has not been written on the back of the front side, can be reused. It can be turned into a postcard or or used as a note stuck on a gift or in a gift bag!

Here is another use for cards you especially like, and want to keep. Group similar ones together and make a picture!

By julrobs from North Augusta, SC

It 's not too early to be thinking about Christmas. This year, send postcards or letters instead of Christmas cards. You can even cut your old Christmas cards, from last year, in half and send the pretty side as a postcard. You're being "earth friendly" by keeping new cards out of the garbage dumps. If you send postcards, whether purchased or homemade, remember they require less postage than a regular card! Old Christmas cards make great gift tags too!

Save all those greeting cards and envelopes sent by charities soliciting donations. Even if the sentiments aren't suitable, you can remove the front covers to use as postcards, and use the envelopes for regular correspondence or make-your-own greeting cards.

By Jennifer M.

I save pretty used greeting cards; Christmas, birthday, everyday cards. I cut off the back page so you have the front of the card. I use the pretty card as a post card to send to friends and relatives. I run a black line down the center on the back side. It is cheaper than a letter and makes somebody's day a brighter one. Plus, you are recycling.

By Diane from Pembroke Pines, FL

Answers:

Reuse Greetings Cards As Postcards

That's the smartest idea I've heard in a long time - I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing! (04/19/2007)

By tedsmom

To recycle cards and save trees, I turn cards I receive into postcards and re use them. Usually people only write on the inside page so I cut off the front page with the picture on it and then write my own message or greeting on the blank back page along with the address and it is now a postcard. I always get asked where I find such fun postcards and with the price of cards being $2-4 and postage being cheaper for a postcard I save quite a bit each time I send a postcard greeting!

By Kate from Chicago, Illinois

Answers:

Turn Greeting Cards into Postcards

Make sure to trim the cards to standard postcard size of 4x6 inches or they will be returned to you unless you pay the extra postage. (11/07/2008)

By Toleda

Turn Greeting Cards into Postcards

I do this with Christmas cards, and send them to shut-ins in my state.

Also, the sizes can be as small as 3 1/2x 5 1/2 or so - check with the Post Office. And they shouldn't be highly embossed or raised, nor should they have any glitter or flocking. (11/08/2008)

By Nance

Turn Greeting Cards into Postcards

Wow, what a good idea. I never thought of that and I should have. I love artwork. Thanks. (11/07/2009)

By PamelaW

Turn Greeting Cards into Postcards

I have been doing this for some time but did not know about trimming them to the postcard size. They ones I sent have not been returned but don't believe I put a return address.

Thanks so much for this information. You learn a lot on ThriftyFun. (11/08/2009)

By mary1922