Crafts Using Greeting Cards

Category Other
Save your old greeting cards to use in a wide variety of crafts. There are a number of examples for such crafts on this page from a basket made from cards to scrapbook uses.

This is a no-cost project that will occupy your kids for a while.

Approximate Time: 5 - 10 minutes each

Supplies

Instructions

1. Let the kids cut characters from the fronts of old greeting cards. These may be animals, people, snowmen, etc.
  2. From the back of card, cut a strip measuring about 3/4x3 inches. Roll this strip into a cylinder and tape the ends together to secure.
  3. Glue a cylinder to the bottom of each character cut-out, on the back of the design.
  4. To use the puppets, slide a finger into the cylinder, then move your finger to make the puppet move.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I cut and save the fronts of all of my received greeting cards. These are great for scrapbooking. I use my scissors to cut flowers, words, scenes, tiny birds, holiday scenes, etc. It saves so much money.

A really cool thing is my local thrift shop sells bundles of old greeting cards for 75 cents! Some of these old cards have beautiful prints and illustrations. These can also be used to make new cards to send.

By Carol Young from Landisville, PA

Does anyone have any ideas for using used greeting cards for craft projects?

By Susan

Answers

Best Answer

I took some vintage post cards and found scrapbooking paper that they looked good with. Then I put them in old picture frames that I bought from thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They are now hanging on the wall going up the stair case in my house. Makes for interesting wall art, and you can always change them out easily for different seasons or holidays.

Any suggestions for recycling old birthday and greeting cards?

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

Answers

By Margeth (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have used old Christmas cards for years as gift tags. cut out picture on front of card, punch hole in corner, tie skinny ribbon thru hole about 2 inches long to tie to package.

Write to and from on back. Everyone likes them because they are large enough to read easily.

Does anyone one remember making pictures 3D, and framing them in shadow box frames?

By Lynn

How do you make waste baskets out of greeting cards?

Beth from Riverview, Michigan

Greeting cards are a good craft supply to keep on hand; there are so many uses they can be put to. One easy and fun project is to make bookmarks from them. They make great all around gifts and remembrance gifts.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Give sentimental or funny greeting cards a longer life by sharing them a second time. This guide explains how easy it is to reuse greeting cards as postcards.

Recycle your old Christmas cards into these cute little slipper decorations. This is a guide about making a recycled Christmas card slipper craft.

Old greeting cards can be used in many crafts. Use a favorite one to make a unique trivet. This is a guide about making a greeting card trivet.

This is what we do with old greeting cards. We want to keep the memories so when we do scrapbook pages, we cut pictures from some of our old greeting cards people have sent us. For example an old Easter card from my sister became the pictures of bunnies for kids memory page.

By Beth L. from Ft. Blackmore, VA

Answers:

Using Greeting Cards for Scrapbooking

I'm wondering if these greeting cards are acid free? (05/20/2009)

By Joan

Using Greeting Cards for Scrapbooking

I do this too, the cards are too great not to reuse. I had a great tweetie one that my sis in law sent me on year. Then I found that I had two pics of her daughters when they were babies wearing tweetie clothing so I made a scrapbook page of them and used the card. I also take cards that have like a really pretty border and then words in the middle, cut out the words and put a picture behind the card and then into a frame and it becomes a great mat for the picture. (05/20/2009)

By christi

Save old greeting cards to use in scrapbooking, either for the poem or for the heading of a page.

By Christi

Answers:

Using Greeting Cards for Scrapbooking

I have many times kept greeting cards that are just beautiful. As a scrapbook artist/store owner (Let's Scrap in Florida), I can tell you that you are able to use them in your scrapbooks. However, you have to spray them with "Make it Acid Free" spray. This helps neutralize the paper for better storage. It guarantees that the card and/or anything that comes in contact with it will be safe from yellowing or deteriorating. All you do is follow the directions on the bottle. Mist both front and back and allow to dry. Best of Luck!
(07/26/2005)

By Vivian

I am looking for something to do with the greeting cards I received when my mom died. Do any of you have any ideas? I would appreciate any help that you could give.

Thyme In Gods Garden from Perkins, OK

Answers:

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

Why don't you get some frames and matting and frame the cards. Or you could make a collage. Maybe frame one with another piece of something of your Mom's; a small piece of jewelry or piece of lace.

Val (03/27/2006)

By valery

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

I used the cards from when I got married in my wedding photo album. I cut them up to use as frames, mats, borders, wordings, and some of the little pictures on them were real nice. (03/27/2006)

By fara

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

How about making a collage and having it laminated and cut into placemats? (03/27/2006)

By Paula

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

Two ideas came to mind, first you could cut out the pictures and use them on a book cover and cover with heavy clear plastic. (use for photo album, bible, etc,)
second idea, you could glue it around a round mirror and get to enjoy it every day. (03/27/2006)

By rosi

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

I use mine to make litle boxes. The front is the top and the back is the bottom. I am not good at drawing pictures on the computer ( I actually don't know how but perhaps it could be found on the internet). (03/27/2006)

By Gladys

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

I knew an elderly woman who took a photo album(scrapbook would work great too) and she put a photo of her hubby in the front, along with several pics from throughout the years, then his obituary, and the condolences cards at the end. it was a nice tribute to his life, i thought.
brenda-ohio (03/27/2006)

By brenda thompson

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

I've made christmas ornaments out of several greeting cards. To do this you cut the front of a card length wise into uniform strips and put a hole in the top and bottom of each strip. Stack your strips and put a brass fastener in the top and bottom stack. Fan your strips out until you have a Christmas ball ornament. If you put your strips in order you will end up with the picture of your card. On the top of the ball around the fastener I add thread or ribbon for hanging. (03/28/2006)

By Biffy

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

I made this old window frame into a wall hanging. I used some cards I had gotten from my children. I hope this idea helps you a little bit.
mary (03/28/2006)

By Mary

RE: Crafts Using Greeting Cards

Crafts Using Greeting Cards

Here are some of my ideas for reuses of pictured greeting cards.
1-carefully using small cookie cutters create jigsaw pieces leaving the rest of the card including the back intact and glues together for a frame.(or you could just cut the card into small say 2 inch bye 1 inch panels all the same size).

2-cut out some of your favorite card pictures and paste them onto just regular plain gift boses and also add your own personal greeting with magic markers,

3- Make an inside door christmas cover using just the pictures of the cards and completely cover a piece of thick plastic . Stapling the cards would be best and frame them out with somekind of colorful material, .( Saving this Door thing from year to year not likely but you can salvage the cards for other projects.

4-cut the characters out of the cards to use as and everchanging seasonal picture hung in your kitchen or close bye. I see a deer from a Christmas card walking by a pond with green trees around him and the sun a shining bright. Just use your immagination.You only have to please yourself.

5-I am looking at a card right now that aat the top is written especially for you. The otherside is blank so I just made a package tag attached to a ribbon fill out the recipents name and put from Mike.
Some of the bigger sayiings could padsted and hung on doors windows mirrors whatever during the holiday.

6-I see bookmarks coming from the longer cards with complete pictures intact

7-Most cards leave one area with little or nothing oon it, this area can be ussed to create youur own card Artwork sayings whatever and stick glue it to anther side that is clean and do the same thing.

8- I have a religious card here that I am going to buy a plane cheap clear plastic frame that will set on a nightstand . for my wife. Can get the frame at most dollar stores .

9-Oh here is a neat idea the bigger cards can be made into fans just use an old plastic flyswater handle complete with hole to hand fan on a nail. Hey the flies laugh at those plastic swaters anyway. Just attach about 3 bread wrapper ties to the back of the card then glue on another card scene to cover it, Stick glue the card and if you can hide them staple the card a few times.

10-Last I don't know if you are aware of this ,but the paper sturdiness of these cards make them capable of being used for making paper houses I made a flying airplane out of one . No it didn't break any records bout it did fly across the room. There are many oother craft possibilities in those in Greeting cards

Imagination is the key to unlocking them.
GREETINGS FROM MR. THRIFTY (07/13/2006)

By Michael Ruger