How to Make Bookmarks from Greeting Cards

Category Other
Greeting cards are a good craft supply to keep on hand; there are so many uses they can be put to. One easy and fun project is to make bookmarks from them. They make great all around gifts and remembrance gifts.

I grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards (birthday and Christmas) and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time. They make a special extra touch when giving a book to someone as well. This craft is a great recycling project for children too, by teaching them not to throw their birthday cards away. No need to buy a bookmark anymore.

Instructions:

Collect old greeting cards, you only need the fronts. Be creative. Cut out bookmark size shapes without any words on it. Punch a small hole in the center top and thread a string or narrow ribbon through (see photo). Use fancy edged scissors for a unique look, or ordinary scissors will do the trick.

By linn from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Top Comment

A paper cutter will also give you a really straight edge and speed up the process if you are making a lot for a fundraiser for instance. The ones in your pic are lovely.

I never could figure out what to do with the "In Memory Of" cards I had collected from friends and relatives that have died.

I now use them in my cookbooks to mark my most used recipes. I think about and pray for that person when cooking.

My Aunt Winnie loved chocolate, so she marks my favorite hot fudge recipe!

By Diane P.

You can make some really cute bookmarks to give as gifts or to use to help adorn your gifts. Attach them to the gift wrapping or to the bows.

I have some really cute ones cut out from old greeting cards. Just find an image on the card that you like, such as a flower or a house or some animals, and cut it out. You can glue felt on the back of the bookmark if you want, or even hotglue on a homemade ribbon or tassel.

I was going through a book last night and found one I made, and that reminded me about these.

Ness - Lakeview, NY

About The Author: Ness is co-list mom of Waste Nothing

Answers:

Uses for Old Cards

Ness: I'll probably try the bookmark idea for old cards. I also use them for name tags for gifts. However, I copied the following idea from a newspaper which I cut out last year. We get quite a few cards where I work and I sent cards to the second organization since it is only about 45 minutes from where I live. My aunt lives there and says it appears to be a reputable organization. I am sure there are other organizations which accept cards and there may be one in your area if you are interested.

With every good wish for the holidays! (12/05/2000)

Susan

Make your own bookmarks from recycled cards

For mother's day (04/30/2004)

By Tina.

I cut up packaging of fancy toilet soaps, herbal tea. That way you can get 4 or 5 bookmarks out of one package. Then you can punch a hole in the top and thread through embroidery thread(s) to make a tassel. Often price tags from newly bought clothes especially " brands" can be used the same way. (09/13/2004)

By kiwi eema