AppliancesCleaning

Grease in Washing Machine

Category Appliances

A couple of weeks ago I washed a pair of my son's jeans which had grease on them, ever since I have been getting a lot of grease stains on my light clothes after I wash them. How can i get rid of this problem?

I have washed lots of dark clothes to see if I can get rid of it. I use hot water only. I have tried bleach and ran the cycle a couple of times. Please give me some ideas. I think I have a small leak in the bottom of the washer somewhere, would there be a way that grease could come up into the washing chamber from there?

Pat

Household ammonia is a good degreaser. You might try running some of that through your washer, along with your detergent. Try it without any laundry, or with old rags. Also Fels-Naptha is good and this can be purchased from Soapsgonebuy.com. (It's on sale right now for $1 a bar.) Otherwise, get a good degreaser from Dollar General like Thunderblast and try that.

I'd get the washer checked. I ended up needing to replace the transmission in mine soon after I started noticing dark colored stains on clothes. The washer was leaking the fluid out in the spin cycle, and eventually failed. It was more economical to relpace the washer than the transmission. Good Luck!

Simple Green concentrate works wonders for grease. People that work in fast food industry & mechanics use it to launder their uniforms. Maybe it will work for your washer if you run rags through a cycle with it.

It is the seal in the transmission that is getting grease in your clothes. We had a white Westinghouse washer that got grease in our clothes and it was the seal in the transmission. Dad st0pped the leak by putting a piece of plastic around the top where the agitator sits. The motor went out on the washer 4 months later.

Rodney

hello i have the exact same problem with my white westinghouse, is leaking oil, where should i put the plastic ? so the leaking stops, do you have a photo or something?