Ham, Cabbage and Potatoes

• 2 Tbsp. oil or butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup water (I use milk)
  • 3 large potatoes, scrubbed and sliced (red or gold work best, 1/4 inch slice)
  • Ad
  • 1/4 tsp. seasoning salt
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • 2 cups cubed cooked ham

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions in the oil. When tender, add cabbage and stir. Pour water or milk over, cover and simmer gently on medium low for ten minutes.

Add potatoes and mix. Sprinkle seasoning salt and paprika over cabbage and potatoes. Cover again and allow to simmer for ten more minutes. Additional water or milk may be needed. Allow to simmer covered for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until cabbage is soft and potatoes are nearly cooked. Mix ham in and finish cooking until ham is hot and potatoes are done.

I used red cabbage I had on hand, it gave it a lot of color. I also added a few dashes of garlic powder to the seasoning and topped the end with a little caned milk with a quick stir.

Next time I will be adding a few caraway seeds and sprinkle some Swiss cheese when I add the ham and make sure there is enough liquid to make a good cheese sauce.

• Cooked sliced carrots add with the ham would add some color.
  • Using some kind of smoked sausages cut up instead of ham.
  • If you use green cabbage, add 1 or 2 chopped sun dried tomatoes.
  • Use prepackaged shredded cabbage. If you get cold slaw mix, it may have carrot shreds in it, don't worry, they will cook and give it some color.

Source: from my grandmother

By Scott E from Chicago

Oh Scott!!! This looks delicious. I'll have to try it!!! Thanx for sharing the recipe.

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesDecember 19, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage