Browsing: Reusing Tin Cans

Recycled Can for Filling Freezer Bags

contest winner icon

I just made a discovery and have got to share it. I have been wishing for a gadget to hold my Zip Lock Freezer Bag open while I fill it. I thought about the tin can and went to my recycling bin and pulled out a 28 oz. Hunt's Tomato can.

I cut the bottom out, washed it good and gave it a try. It works great and makes putting stuff in the bag much easier. It fits perfectly down into the quart size bag and can be used on the gallon size bag also. This can will go in my utility drawer now.

By Betty from NC

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing:)

Great idea! I thought now about using a plastic coffee jug. I hate throwing those away. They can be used for so many things. Thanks for sharing. I use Zip Loc bags for the freezer a lot of times.

My mom used to do this and you just made me remember!

Thanks for the post.

http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the idea! So much more reliable than what I've been using to keep bags open! (my husband!)

I have found that using a container approximately the same size as the bag to sit it into with the rim turned over makes it easy to fill and the rim doesn't get dirty either.

My mom always says, "Necessity is the mother of invention." And this is proof of it :-) Thank God my mom taught me how to think out of the box like this.

Thanks for the tip! I can sure use this when filling my vacuum sealer bags.

Have a great day!

Trish in CT

9/24/08

Thanks for sharing this idea. I have tried putting the bag into something else with the top turned over like mentioned above, but the bag seems to always want to shift when you fill it. This will be much easier. Pat in Michigan

I used the tin can, with top and bottom lid removed, when freezing corn. It made it so much easier to put the corn into the zip lock bag.

It's corn freezing time again and they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I'm sharing a picture of how the can works for filling a zip lock bag.

This size can does not hold quite a quart so when the can gets full, I just raise it up a little so I can get the rest of the corn into the can. Then with both hands, I grab the can with the bag and give it a lift up letting the corn fall neatly into the bag leaving the top and sides of the bag clean.

I love this can and use it a lot when pouring stuff into a zip lock bag.

Betty from NC

Preparing corn for freezing is a messy job. I enjoy putting up butter beans much better.

Hi, great idea! Thank you for sharing. I will use your idea. Thank you again.

I really like this, even though there are no leftovers most of the time, I am going to use this when I use bags for storage! Thank you so much!

Robyn

Well, if this isn't a real "DUH" moment for me! Betty, thank you so much for the smack upside my head. Evidently I needed it. What a great idea!

Have to add my "thank-you". What a great idea!! And what a great community to belong to, can usually find an answer to most anything relevant to a "Thrifty" household.

This is a great and easy way to load the plastic baggies. However, with all the information on BPA being in our bodies at higher strengths than previously believed, I am not buying anything in cans at this time.

My hope is for people to stop buying in cans, which will force food companies to use glass or find a safer liner for the cans. I have been buying frozen or fresh when possible. With all the toxins in our world today, I find myself making small changes as much as I can. I do believe our food supply plays a very large part in all the illnesses and disease we see all around us.

Put your bag on the inside of the can this way you're not contaminating the bag just in case you didn't get all the food off of the outside of the can and I use 1 of the restaurant size cans with the bottom cut out also.

The do make a bag holder it's made out of plastic, it has a 4 in. round base with two extendible plastic arms that stickup with something similar to clothespins on the top to hold the bag open this works very well also.

Thank you so very much for this tip. I will certainly try this. It beats trying to hold onto the bag,and spilling the contents everywhere. Weezy

Thanks everybody. I hope you enjoy your can as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Reusing Aluminum (Tin) Cans
Reusing Tin Cans
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 23, 2008
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 20, 2016 at 9:17:48 PM on 10.0.1.182 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.